Small , hot space needing plants

go2gymMarch 29, 2009

Between my asphalt driveway and my house is a small strip of bare soil about 12 feet long and 18 inches wide. I'm in Zone 7 and this is on the north side of the house, gets sun 95% of the day, and in the summer is a scorching hot place for any plant. Right now the summer weeds like it.

Its a couple inches lower than the driveway so I'm thinking of building it up a bit and put maybe a 6-8 inch high retaining wall type of configuration. Then I have to decide what to plant there. Something a maximum of 2 feet tall or under with a root system that can deal with such a small space. Preferably a perennial.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

The 18 inch width is your limiting factor. Since its next to the driveway it will get walked on from time to time so you need something tough. I suggest hens and chicks. There are many varieties available now so you can plant several in that space.

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 10:32PM
go2gym

Thanks. Actually it won't be walked on at all. Its a small strip between driveway and house, not in a walking zone.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 10:50PM
sweet_betsy No AL Z7

None of these are perennials in my Zone 7; however, they are
the most drought-tolerant plants that I have tried in hot, scorching spots like yours--globe amaranth, pentas and periwinkle.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 9:56AM
More Discussions
Large leaves.
This NOID doesn't have any flowers, but sure has some...
newgen
finding the right privacy fence plant
I would like to build a privacy fence, but have a slightly...
dtrachtman
VERY Wet Yard - Wanted, Water-Loving Plant Ideas
We purchased our 6 acre home in January of this year...
Zephyrhills
dogs!
What is a plant that can tolerate LOTS of dog urine?...
c1nicolei
Planting among dense roots
The fruitless mulberry, privets, and Japanese maple...
dlees
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™