Trees/Shrubs for wet areas

aepeckApril 24, 2007

I am looking for trees and shrubs that will do well in wet areas. I am more interested in trees. I live in Southern Maryland so I need something that is good in the heat but can withstand fairly cold winters.

I live behind a bank and we get a lot of run off from the parking lot. I would like to plant a tree or two in the "drainage area" (it doesn't drain very well) between our properties. It is not unusual to have 3" to 5" of standing water in in the back of my lot for 3 or 4 days after a good rain. I would like to decrease this time by planting a tree ot two. Any suggestions will be helpful, thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mersiepoo(6)

You could try weeping willows, or any willows like corkscrew, pussy willows, etc. They don't mind water.

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 5:31AM
tjsangel(z5 OH)

If you have a large area try Cornus sericea, Red Twig dogwood. Can take lots of moisture, actually prefers boggy conditions. I think it gets around 8 feet tall/wide. Good luck!

Jen

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 6:44AM
ziggy___(z5/6 PA)

River birch, any willow, red cedar, atlantic white cedar (Chamaecyparis thyoides). box elder, red maple, silver maple.

Ziggy

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Hanging plants in wind and shade
Hello! Any suggestions of a suitable plant for this...
melange
Plant in tissue??
I'm new in plantings.. I just receive a plant from...
Dia_louy101
Shady spot in front of house - what plants will work?
I have a large mulched area in front of my home that...
laumaclandscape
Bed of Nails
I have just received a plant labeled "Bed of Nails"...
carmellia
plants that can survive 5' piled snow
Reclaiming 100 sf of parking space, but the snow still...
bobdove
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™