plants/grasses for sloping yard to absorb water

zeak(6b)April 10, 2014

Hi. My front yard has a moderate sloping hill (pretty full sun) that takes on a lot of water runoff from the house. The flat yard at the bottom gets soaked and stays moist forever. Right now this area is mainly mulch and a few small plants from the prior owners. I'm looking for any suggestions of plants or grasses that are thirsty and can soak up the runoff. I'm hoping for something attractive and interesting like chunky ornamental grasses but colorful plants would be great too. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenper(8)

Not sure if enough plants will soak it up to make it dry, but as long as it is no threat to your house foundation or other building structure foundation, possibly you could turn it into a boggy or moisture-loving plant site.

Throw in some carnivorous plants also!

Otherwise, compost added there could help with some of the moisture by changing the composition of the soil, but it will take time.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 11:20AM
pomonaflower

This was my solution to a similar problem. The grade in the front of our house was impossible to deal with. Grass seed washed away; what little did grow was hard to mow as pushing a mower was exhausting.

We're deep in the Missouri Ozarks.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 1:44PM
gardenper(8)

@pomonaflower, looks great!

Did you alter the ground composition in any way or do you mean you just started to landscape it with different plants instead of depending on it to be a grassy area?

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 5:23PM
pomonaflower

We hauled in about two dump truck loads of soil as our hill was nothing but stone and clay as is most of our three acres. The rocks came from the Spring River. I got really lucky as the landscaper I hired had built a house on the Spring and they had to dig up lots and lots of rock. When I showed her my drawing of what I wanted, you could see the light bulb turn on - she said I have the perfect thing in my YARD!! I love this so much as I'm in my 70s, and I can sit on one layer of rocks and work between my feet in the beds below.

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 1:12PM
pomonaflower

Here's a "before" picture. It looks like nice grass from this distance and angle but trust me - it was sparse.

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 1:17PM
pomonaflower

And this is the work in progress...

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 1:20PM
devolet

Reeds work well in water soggy landscapes. There are different heights and the clumps add texture. They are used in runoff gardens along the streets here. Adding the rocks is genius, it is a great accent to your house and landscaping.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 1:53AM
edlincoln(6A)

Ferns, Marsh Marigold, Springback Clover, (Trifolium wormskioldi),

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
plants that can survive 5' piled snow
Reclaiming 100 sf of parking space, but the snow still...
bobdove
Attached concert planter boxes
I have 4 concert planter boxes at ground level that...
kaesgarden
Report: Black Walnut Rose Plantings
Some months ago there was interest in what roses might...
Hawkeye_Belle
Help Needed
I'm new to the forum and to coastal NC. We live on...
mynxr
Hanging plants in wind and shade
Hello! Any suggestions of a suitable plant for this...
melange
Sponsored Products
Yorkshire Console Table
Grandin Road
Fosters Point Basket With Pears Hydrangearangea Feathers
Beyond Stores
Neckroll Pillow 23" x 8" - ORCHID/GOLD (NECKROLL)
$345.00 | Horchow
Roses & magnolia wreath
Origin Crafts
Compact Herb Stand
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Linen Paintable Wallpaper
Grandin Road
Area Rug: Ossipee Pale Blue 3' x 5'
Home Depot
Glass/Window Cleaner
$5.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™