Something that is okay with shade and moist soil

ohrats9(6)April 14, 2013

Next to my drive is a little patch of land that bums me out as it's such an eye sore. It is shaded for most of the day (it gets about an hour 1/2 of sun in the early morning) and the soil never really dries out. see that puddle in the picture? That might dry out for a day or two max.

Is there any low maintenance perennials that could handle this type of setting? It can't be anything that will climb up the house and it has to stay under 3'.

Would lily of the valley do well there? I'm kind of into flowers. Do any ferns have flowers? Someone mentioned hostas?

As I am a slightly lazy gardener, I would love something that just eventually dies off and can simply be raked up in the late fall with all the leaves, but propagates and comes back with a vengeance come spring.

I almost forgot! It cannot be toxic in any way. I have dogs that walk down the drive and into the yard to play.

Thanks!

This post was edited by ohrats9 on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 18:48

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MelanieD(5)

You should look into hydrangeas. They love moist, well-draining soil, do well in partial sun or shade, and thrive in zones 4-9. There are many different kinds of hydrangeas resulting in different size plants. I have a beautiful, blue hydrangea in my front yard and I live on a heavily wooded plot of land. Hope this helps!

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 1:36PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Can you add the photo? If you edit in the preview, you have to re-upload the photo.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 10:50AM
ohrats9(6)

I put a bunch of bleeding hearts in and called it done because a hundred little ferns poked through after I was done clearing away the top! :)

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 2:44PM
ishareflowers

chelone, ligularia, hosta ,petasites, persicaria just to name a few.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 6:19AM
edlincoln(6A)

Ferns are the obvious choice. Many would die in the winter and come back, but none have flowers. (They have a completely different reproductive system that doesn't involve pollen...they actually have spores and sperm that swims down the stalk after a rain.)

Jewel Weed is generally considered a weed, but it has pretty orange flowers and likes both swampy areas and shade. Might get over 3 feet, but not much over. Non-toxic to humans (it has medicinal uses).

Various forms of clover might work, like Trifolium wormskioldii (but it would need mowing). Also some ornamental grasses. (Northern Sea Oats).

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 12:29AM
princessgrace79(8 PNW)

Astilbe might be a good choice for some fill in color, they like it wet and shady....not sure if they need more than an hour of sun but I think they will do ok in that.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 1:54AM
Linda

Azalea, boxwood, holly, pulmonaria, hosta, astilbe, ferns, hydrangea, dogwood, Jap. maple-not sure what size you are looking for.

Linda

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 2:08AM
lmich9

Lilly of the valley is toxic to dogs. My dog has never touched it but I don't care for it much and has gone from one bed to all over my back yard. I can't get rid of it.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 10:43AM
seegaye(9)

I could have written this post so am watching the answers! I recently lost quite a few plants to root rot in just such a site. They had dwelled there happily for two years then developed the rot after a season of heavy rains :(

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
Wintering garden Oleanders
Due to the unbelievable mild winter last year my Oleander...
redlilly
VERY Wet Yard - Wanted, Water-Loving Plant Ideas
We purchased our 6 acre home in January of this year...
Zephyrhills
Large leaves.
This NOID doesn't have any flowers, but sure has some...
newgen
Shrubs under black walnut
I have 3 canadian hemlocks which were planted in a...
shadey
Deer/ Honeysuckle and Trumpet Vine
I have a deer problem. They just consumed all of my...
robinva
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™