Need tall evergreen, shade tolerant, inexpensive, thick cover??
I'm looking to plant some large evergreen shrubs/trees for privacy.
They need to be:
1. disease/insect resistant (I dont want to be out there spraying them every year)
2. Shade tolerant (lots of shade, especially in summer)
3. able to grow in acidic clay soil (we dont have much topsoil before getting down to clay)
4. "maintenance free"
5. Not a slow grower
6. For zone 7
7. Inexpensive (mail order is great)
9. At least 15-20 feet tall mature height (higher is better)
- Deer resistant
If there is no "perfect plant" that fits all of these qualifications, I'm open to hear suggestions for plants that fit "most" of them. Some are not negotiable, such as "evergreen" and "shade tolerant".
Right now there is a lot of mountain laurel and holly filling the surrounding forest. There's just one area where the property line is visible, and I wanted to fill in that area with thick, evergreen vegetation. I dont care how it looks, as long as it forms a good privacy buffer.
Anything out there that fits this bill?