Spacing between Citrus trees

jardineratx(zone 8, Texas)December 28, 2012

I have a lemon tree, a naval orange and a Rio Red grapefruit that I want to plant in a row. Placing these trees in close proximity will help when it comes to pruning and fertilizing, and, most of all, winter protection. Will 12 feet between the trees be enough space, or do I need to plant them further apart?
thanks
Molly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Much depends on the particular variety, the type of rootstock, and even your soil type. Having said that, I think 12 feet will be plenty of space; just be sure to put the grapefruit on one end in case it gets bigger. Anyway the grapefruit is probably the most tolerant of cold.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 2:07PM
jardineratx(zone 8, Texas)

Thank you for your input, Johnmerr! The lemon is an unknown variety grown from a cutting, the orange is on sour orange rootstock and I am not certain of the rootstock on the Rio Red grapefruit. So, generally speaking, the grapefruit tree would be the largest? If left pretty well unpruned, what would be the average height/width of each of these 3 citrus trees?
Molly

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 4:53PM
MrClint

Tree spacing is always a hot topic -- as most of the data is based on the commercial growers need for tractor access.

I laid out my citrus hedgerows on 8' centers. You can control the size of any tree by pruning and by not going crazy with fertilizer and water. If you have a large open area you can plant 3-4 trees in one hole as close as 18" to 2' on center. I've done this with peach trees, but not with citrus.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Art of Successive Ripening

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 5:27PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

I agree with John, and my orchard is planted much like mrclint's. Mrclint and I are on some pricey property in California, so every square foot is precious :-) I intensively plant because I can (nearly all trees are on semi-dwarfing rootstock), and also because I'll prune as necessary to keep size down. Plus, we don't have humidity issues like the gulf citrus states do, so maximum air flow isn't as much a concern for us in drier S. California. And, my stone fruits are planted like mrclint's, using Dave Wilson Nursery's "single hole" planting concept. Mine are in two tight rows that follow along a walkway. Not sure citrus could be that close and do as well as my stone fruits, but my citrus trees are probably between 8 and 12 feet apart. Just prune to keep the canopy open (down the road), so you get good airflow through the canopy as your trees mature. That will help to prevent fungal infections from having an opportunity to take advantage of a crowded situation.

Patty S.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
Need help with finding a Shasta Gold Mandarin Tree
By now I have called every nursery in California and...
Amir Javed
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.
Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones.. I...
meyermike_1micha
Is this Oro Blanco grapefruit ripe?
Hello friends! This fell off my tree and I have n clue...
meyermike_1micha
Cuban Shaddock, a dwarfing rootstock? I doubt it
It is difficult to find information about this rootstock...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
Help with ground planting & care of Hamlin Orange tree in Ft. Lauderda
I am new to growing and caring for orange trees, having...
Shelly K.
Sponsored Products
Christopher Knight Home 6-foot Variegated Ficus Executive
Overstock.com
Master Mark Plastics 20 ft. Trim Landscape Edging - 1432-4040
$20.99 | Hayneedle
Tall Tree Shaped Standing Floor Lamp for Home Lighting
ParrotUncle
Winter Tree Artwork
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Rosemary 5" Tree in Brown Burlap - 5"H
$39.50 | FRONTGATE