What to plant? New addition to house.

kimberly1017(zone 6)April 9, 2008

We have put an addition onto our house. It is right in your face when you pull in our driveway. It is 2 stories and all siding- no windows but a small one- because my husband built it not wanting anyone to see in from the road or front. The back of the addition is ALL windows- overlooking our 3/4 acrepond and woods. I am very upset about the ugly siding. A trellis would not be tall enough to make much difference. My husband says that nothing can be attached to the siding- moisture will get in. Our drive way- gravel and hard rock under- comes right up to this building. And plumbing and other pvc pipes are all around the area in front. I suggested a raised bed. He says no- it will be too wet and seep into the building. It is also a shady side of the house. I guess I could get some big barrels and put poodle evergreens in them? We like a more natural, wild look. Hostas won't grow mainly because we have voles that eat the bulbs. Same with tulips (another issue.)

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bullthistle

Guess your husband never used blinds. How wide is your driveway? I am thinking if there is room to plant say a redbud or similar in a raised bed that will break up the siding from the road. It must look like pulling up to a warehouse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 10:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
florrie2

I know what you mean. The side of our house faces the street, completely unplanted, deer, rabbit predation. And dense woods. DH eventually wants a garage there, so I haven't planted anything. It looks like we just moved in and we've been there 20 years!.

I've been thinking about some decorative paint, like an Amish hex sign painted on the boring siding. It would add some interest. Maybe you can re-post over at the Decorating Forum.

Florrie

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Shrubs under black walnut
I have 3 canadian hemlocks which were planted in a...
shadey
Hanging plants in wind and shade
Hello! Any suggestions of a suitable plant for this...
melange
Bed of Nails
I have just received a plant labeled "Bed of Nails"...
carmellia
Shrubs Under Black Walnut Trees
Can I plant Serviceberry, Winterberry, and Bayberry...
tomp123
Large leaves.
This NOID doesn't have any flowers, but sure has some...
newgen
Sponsored Products
Slamp | Las Palmas Floor Lamp
$680.00 | YLighting
Arch Arbor: Tierra-Derco Bacchus Arch Arbor
$158.98 | Hayneedle
Colorful Flowers Lamp
$213.40 | Bellacor
Beach Wood Succulent Garden
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Version 1.0 Half Planter by Pad Outdoor
$184.00 | Lumens