Can anyone indentify this citrus fruit?

zafraDecember 22, 2012

Hello everyone,
I'm a new member with a citrus question. I live in Venezuela where the citrus I see are limes, naval oranges and an orange variety that looks like it's probably a relative of valencia. There are occasionally grapefruits but they're not common. I've never seen a lemon here. A neighbor gave me these 4 fruits she called "lim�n frances" - french lime. They are the size of limes, and are not sweet, but for me their similarities to limes end there. They are soft and very, very juicy, and their flavor is not limey at all in my opinion. Nor is it lemony really, just sort of generic sour/acid citrus. The color is pretty much how it appears in the photos, sort of greenish-orange-yellow with orange-yellow flesh. It makes a great juice with sugar and I can cook with it where one would use lemon or lime, although the flavor isn't exactly the same as I said. I've searched the web and found nothing useful. Can anyone tell me what this is??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zafra

Here are all four fruits before cutting.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 2:00PM
johnmerr(11)

Lemon, lime... in the Spanish speaking world, they are all limon. In the English speaking world lime means green; and lemon means yellow. As for size, there are "limes" that are way bigger than most "lemons".

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 2:29PM
zafra

Actually in some parts of the Spanish speaking world lime is lima, and lemon is limon.

Still hoping someone can take a guess as to the identity of the fruit I'm asking about, which doesn't appear to be or taste like either one. Could it be that a seedling lime tree (or orange tree for that matter) is producing this fruit which is some cross-pollinated lime-orange creation?

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 5:12PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Zafra, I think you're probably correct in guessing this is a seedling and a hybrid of somthing sour, and possibly an orange. You can try posting your photos and questions over on the Citrus Grower's Forum. Lots of international folks there, and some real experts. They might possibly be able to ID this fruit for you. You'll need to join, but worth the couple of minutes to set up your account. Great and very knowledgeable folks there.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Grower's Forum

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 11:43PM
zafra

Thanks so much Patty that's a great suggestion. I'll report back if I get any interesting info over there. Cheers!

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 12:45AM
MrClint

I suggest that you just stick with limon frances (with proper accent marks of course). In fact you probably have something that will capture the imagination of the "gotta-have-something-rare" crowd. Give it some time and folks will be clamoring for seeds (you certainly have plenty) or budwood from you. A lemon by any other name would still make excellent salad dressing, but a new named variety with different characteristics will surely fan the "first on the block" fires. So just run with it and enjoy the fervor. :)

Bookmark   December 24, 2012 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Citrus Source in TX
I am interested in growing a dwarf sunbust tangerine...
sgreer13
Help with ground planting & care of Hamlin Orange tree in Ft. Lauderda
I am new to growing and caring for orange trees, having...
Shelly K.
Why is my orange growing so wrinkly
The new growth on my orange tree is all light green...
csanadkocsis
Sour orange cutting
The second of four cuttings I tried is showing new...
tim45z10
Is my tree a goner???
I came home from work to find our miniature sour orange...
christimfarley
Sponsored Products
Maranga Table Lamp by Marset
$682.00 | Lumens
Wooden Paneled Fruit Wall Plaque
Classic Hostess
New Authentic Navy Chobi Peshawar 8' X 10' Hand Knotted Pakistani Wool Rug H3812
BH Sun Inc
Sylvia Angeli A Midsummer Night's Dream Canvas Art
Overstock.com
In Good Company Gift Basket - 7502
$182.93 | Hayneedle
Green Six-Piece Knife Set
$59.99 | zulily
Fruit Basket Set of 4 Mocha Spoons by Alessi
$45.00 | Lumens
Hampton Bay Slipcovers Cane Crossing Dragon Fruit Patio Lounge Chair Slipcover
$75.00 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for: