branches and sticks everywhere

schoolhouse_gwFebruary 19, 2012

I don't know what it was about this winter (yeah, I know, not over yet!) but my garden, both front and back yards, and orchard are littered with small dead branches and sticks. I try to keep the ones in the front yard picked up. The privet arch is a mess. So much dead growth not only littering the floor but inside the hedge itself. Is this the last year for my beloved privet arch? I say that every Spring but it sure looks beleaguered. I suppose after 30yrs. it's bound to be. Then again, new growth is always there so all I have to do is wait another 25yrs to see it all green and arched again!

Maybe it's a sign of poor or the lack of pruning of all my old trees and shrubs. At least the daffs are coming full force and there are lots of buds on the flowering shrubs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

I think it will all be ok. It's just the circle of life. In a very new garden, the growth is thin and flexible. In a more mature garden, there will be twigs and branches that fall or snap. Have you read about hugelkultur (sp?) they are talking about it on the soil/compost forum. It's a way to use your fallen branches and twigs. Very interesting. I bet once you prune and shape your privet, it will respond beautifully. Thank goodness for the daffodils I say!

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
Wanting to sow my wild flower seeds, have questions
Recently a gas line was installed in front of our house...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Just a little test post -
I'm trying to see how the new posting works. First,...
ThinMan Z5 MI
Introduction! (plus a question about gaura)
Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but have been gardening...
michellecoxwrites
Here's what my Garden looks like!!
The icicles are getting crazy big, but they look pretty...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
My first real gardening venture this year
The sun is out, it's 80 degrees in my unheated greenhouse...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™