Thuja 'Brabant'

entlingMay 11, 2007

I just bought a couple of these, but I can't find any info on how wide they grow. Does anyone know?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noki

What I've read is that it is a somewhat narrow spire, with maybe one central leader, so it doesn't sound very wide. 20-30 years down the road...?

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 4:33PM
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

I planted a hedge of these back in 2002. They've probably grown about a foot a year and are currently about 8 feet tall, and 3 to 3-1/2 feet wide at their widest part (they are sort of pyramid shaped, so wider near the bottom.)

They are still dense, but have more of a "loose" appearance than other cultivars like 'smargd' or 'brandon'. Sort of a feathery look near the top. They take pruning well though and here in a sheltered spot in zone 3 suffer just a bit of winter damage some years. I think I planted my plants about 2-1/2 or 3 feet apart for a hedge. To me, some years the new growth almost appears a bit golden or pinkish on the branch ends. It's a nice shade of green.

P.S. when I first bought mine I too had trouble finding information on this cultivar. Since it's from Europe and quite popular, if you do a search you will find lots of nursery websites but in German or other languages.

Glen

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 1:07PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

According to Welch/Haddow, World Checklist of Conifers "A compact, conical form with bright green foliage" originated and introduced by G.J.F. Rombouts, Steensel, North Brabant province (Germany).

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 1:28PM
entling

Thanks everyone, I think it will do. My German is pretty much limited to "Wo ist der bahnhof" and "Eine grosse bier, bitte."

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 6:39PM
More Discussions
Yellow variegated Thuja cultivar at local box store!
Great, now EVERYONE is going to own one lol. Saw this...
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis
Vanderwolf Pine turning yellow on ends
I have done a search on this site and see question...
frazier_1977
Question concerning growing Ponderosa pines from seed
I am currently growing one ponderosa pine from seed...
pinus66
Larix decidua 'Pendula' & Picea abies 'Spring Fire'
I am looking for Larix decidua 'Pendula'. I understand...
ladylotus
Weeping Hemlock in NJ
Hi all! I am a regular on the lawn care forum, but...
danielj_2009
Sponsored Products
Forestier | Pleins Phares Small Pendant Light
$237.60 | YLighting
Forestier | Pleins Phares Large Pendant Light
$375.20 | YLighting
Zuo Modern Brabant Occasional Arm Chair - Multicolor Patchwork - 500500
$498.99 | Hayneedle
Forestier | Pleins Phares Medium Pendant Light
$312.80 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™