Thuja 'Brabant'

entlingMay 11, 2007

I just bought a couple of these, but I can't find any info on how wide they grow. Does anyone know?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noki

What I've read is that it is a somewhat narrow spire, with maybe one central leader, so it doesn't sound very wide. 20-30 years down the road...?

Bookmark   May 11, 2007 at 4:33PM
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

I planted a hedge of these back in 2002. They've probably grown about a foot a year and are currently about 8 feet tall, and 3 to 3-1/2 feet wide at their widest part (they are sort of pyramid shaped, so wider near the bottom.)

They are still dense, but have more of a "loose" appearance than other cultivars like 'smargd' or 'brandon'. Sort of a feathery look near the top. They take pruning well though and here in a sheltered spot in zone 3 suffer just a bit of winter damage some years. I think I planted my plants about 2-1/2 or 3 feet apart for a hedge. To me, some years the new growth almost appears a bit golden or pinkish on the branch ends. It's a nice shade of green.

P.S. when I first bought mine I too had trouble finding information on this cultivar. Since it's from Europe and quite popular, if you do a search you will find lots of nursery websites but in German or other languages.

Glen

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 1:07PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

According to Welch/Haddow, World Checklist of Conifers "A compact, conical form with bright green foliage" originated and introduced by G.J.F. Rombouts, Steensel, North Brabant province (Germany).

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 1:28PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

copy and paste:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Thuja+Occidentalis+Brabant&hl=en&rls=RNWE%2CRNWE%3A2005-14%2CRNWE%3Aen&num=10&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

Here is a link that might be useful: quick link ... hope you know your conversions ....

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 1:29PM
entling

Thanks everyone, I think it will do. My German is pretty much limited to "Wo ist der bahnhof" and "Eine grosse bier, bitte."

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 6:39PM
More Discussions
What are these trees?
What are these two conifers? One is blue/gray with...
edlincoln
Taxodium mucronatum photo
An uptight photo
bluethuja
"Best" Pseudotsuga for cold, eastern areas.
I'd like to add just a few Doug-trees to my menagerie...
wisconsitom
Pinus Nigra hardiness
We had a brutal temp swing in November after a very...
treebarb Z5 Denver
Pseudotsuga macrocarpa photo
A photo of my pseudotsuga macrocarpa
bluethuja
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™