How far can deer jump?

Marianne57(zone 3 Alberta)May 14, 2007

If I put down a 5 foot wide swath of wire fencing supported 6" off the ground outside of a 5 foot high fence, should that keep the lil' darlings out of my garden? Just wandering how far they can jump. I don't like the looks of the 8 foot fence, besides, they cost a fortune to put up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadgardens

I've got a fence similar to the one you describe around most of my yard. It works well, but the deer do jump over it, and crawl under it. The deer herd that used to call my yard home had 20+ members, now I only have to chase out the occassinal singleton or pair.

Deer can easily clear a six foot high fence, but normally won't if they can't see what's on the other side.

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 9:43PM
mersiepoo(6)

5 feet? Ha, they can just walk over that. Try at least an eight foot fence, or use a visual barrier of string or wire, that can deter them, or also use a garlic/oil/soap spray around the perimeter. Try everything and anything to keep them away! :)

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 1:45PM
Marianne57(zone 3 Alberta)

I'm looking for the horizontal distance. I know they can jump vertically about 7 feet.

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 8:16AM
mersiepoo(6)

Horizontally? Depends on if they are running or not. I've seen them go through and under barb wire fencing that was spaced 1 foot between the wires. They get tangled in it and mess up the wire too. 6 inches off the ground would probably keep them from going under it, but then you may have to worry about groundhogs/raccoons/rabbits/chipmunks/squirrels, etc etc getting in your garden.

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 6:00PM
jabee

Deer can jump wide or jump high but not both. See the link below for some excellent information and the dimensions for the fence you want.

Best Luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Montana Fish & Wildlife

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 6:34AM
tyhawk(5)

I have had great luck with Deerout and a motion detecting sprinkler. I bought a motion detecting floodlight and wired in a 24 volt transformer that went to a standard irrigation valve and then to one or more impact sprinkler heads. You can buy a motion detecting sprinkler on line but they are more expensive and less durable than making one. They also dont have lights. Now the deer dont come in my yard even if its off. Im training them I guess.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deerout

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 9:39PM
Carol_from_ny

Deer can easilly jump a 8 foot fence. We had a 8 foot page fence around our house in IL and the little darlings cleared it with no trouble at all. They also ran into it one evening. Knocked the fence out of shape. I thought a car had hit the fence till I saw the deer hair caught in the fence. We figured maybe one got hit or spooked and ran into the fence cause he couldn't see.

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 10:41PM
DeerGuy_hotmail_com

Deer can jump only as far as they can jump. If they use spaceshoes they can jump as far as 30' vertically. How do you think Santa's reindeer can fly? Come'on peoples get with it.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
Bed of Nails
I have just received a plant labeled "Bed of Nails"...
carmellia
black walnut support group
I am so jazzed. Many of the perenials I transplanted...
tootswisc
low plants that like sun, damp feet- that deer do not like
Hi folks, I am gardening near Chapel Hill, NC and have...
lauriec
Plant wilting
I bought this potted plant a couple of weeks ago and...
hilste
What to grow under a Maple Tree?
I have a Maple tree in my front yard and I can't seem...
NutCracker20
Sponsored Products
Leucos | OPI Wall Sconce
$351.00 | YLighting
Vintage Posters Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Veranda Chocolate/Aqua 5 ft. 3
Home Depot
Four-Pot Trellis
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Domi Satin Nickel One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Solare Glass
$157.50 | Bellacor
Kiam Oushak Rug 5'9" x 9'9" - SLATE
$1,729.00 | Horchow
Axa 60" Wall-Mounted Bathroom Vanity Set With Integrated Sinks by Wyndham Collec
Modern Bathroom
MUD 4PC Setting - Style 3 - MUD Australia
$162.00 | HORNE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™