Do Rabbits Eat Potato Plants?

balsam_girlMay 17, 2008

Hi,

I have a new garden area dedicated to potatoes. The fence around it should keep deer out, but it's not yet rabbit, hare, or woodchuck proof.

Anybody know how eagerly rabbits and woodchucks will attack the green growing parts of the potato plant? Aren't they in the nightshade family and does that make them resistant to rabbit damage? Or am I just hoping for the impossible?

I can't seem to find this addressed on the internet; only about insect damage to potatoes. I do remember my neighbor years ago had deer eating his potato plants...but then deer seem to eat most ANYTHING! But do rabbits & woodchucks?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
radiantrose

Hi,
Yes, rabbits will eat potato leaves, especially young rabbits. They learn what to eat by nibbling everything. I lost a good crop of potatoes until I got a dog and let him loose in the garden. I was also shocked when all of my apricot foxgloves were eaten, stripped right down to the stems. More so if there is a large population and they are hungry. They will eat almost anything. If you google rabbit proof plants, they will list all of the garden flower types that they don't like. Maybe you could companion plant or spray a rabbit repellent on the leaves.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 1:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
balsam_girl

Radiantrose

Thanks for the info!

I'll add chickenwire (rabbitwire) around the base of the base of the garden fence. Right now it has a gap under the bottom where rabbits can slip under.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
Bed of Nails
I have just received a plant labeled "Bed of Nails"...
carmellia
Difficult spot and soil for lawn
We've lived her since fall of 2012. For two years we...
Tinbucket
Standing Ovation Serviceberry
I am considering planting a Standing Ovation Serviveberry...
DanZone4
dogs!
What is a plant that can tolerate LOTS of dog urine?...
c1nicolei
VERY Wet Yard - Wanted, Water-Loving Plant Ideas
We purchased our 6 acre home in January of this year...
Zephyrhills
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™