What to Plant with Siloam Sugar Time

prairiegirlz5February 5, 2012

It looks like people here answer the posts the same year as they're made, so I'm going to take a shot and ask you kind folks to help me out.

I thought I had identified the short, somewhat fragrant, smaller-flowered daylily I inherited from the previous homeowners as Black-eyed Stella. Come to find out, it's probably Siloam Sugar Time, thanks to Home Depot, who had some in this past year. I love this plant! It has sturdy, apricot-colored blooms with a burgundy eye zone and a greenish throat. I usually prefer brighter colored blooms.

I have orange coneflower, Blue Fortune agastache, calamintha, lady's mantle, purple sedum and plan to add Blue Paradise phlox and Royal Sunset lilies to this one area of the garden. Do you have any other suggestions that would help me show off this pale colored daylily? I was thinking a blue flower like echinops or eryngium??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katlynn719(8b)

I love blue flowers and agree that it would look nice with your daylily. Here is a similar combo - balloon flowers (platycodon) planted with SILOAM SHOCKER -

Kathy

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 6:03PM
prairiegirlz5

I do love this combo. The balloon flower is a much better "true blue" than I thought possible. I have noted that the pink plant is a zinnia~Thanks again katlynnlily!:0)

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 10:32PM
prairiegirlz5

"I just got my new issue of Garden Gate magazine, and on the back cover they pair Apricot Beauty tulip with woodland phlox and Gold Coast juniper. I found a phlox called Clouds of Perfume that needs part shade, humus rich soil that matches the color shown. The effect was vibrant and fresh.
That pairing inspired me to think about planting lady's mantle (alchemilla mollis) with my apricot colored daylily and maybe ageratum, as I have more sun and the daylily blooms later in summer. The apricot shade is too pretty to pass up, but I also have found it hard to combine."

I posted this in the Bulbs forum. Strangely, it was encouraging to read that others struggled to make the most of this color in the garden. I really like the idea of adding something with vibrant pink flowers to complement the burgundy eye zone. I can't wait until summer to try it!

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
May have cooked my seeds?
After a number of seasons of trying to find a warm...
del_s
Suicidal gardenia post OT
Don't know if any of you ever read this. It's worth...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Question About Seed Sprouting
I was throwing out some old seed packets that were...
alameda/zone 8
Voles and Snow Cover
With the great weather today I did some cleanup in...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
photo of cool blue daylily
Does anyone have a picture of Petit's Cool Blue daylily...
pink_petals
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™