germinating citrus seeds need some advice

andyandy(6bMI)December 20, 2012

I would like to try my hand at a couple of citrus trees. I was thinking of an orange tree and a Pummelo. Can anyone tell me what the ideal soil temperature would be for germination and sun requirements. This is the boring time of year up here with everything indoors and or dormant.I'm looking for something to do with my green thyumb I have read that seeds should be refrigerated if taken out of a fresh fuit so I'm thinking that if I mail ordered some seeds the cold weahter they may encounter on a delivery truck may not be an issue.

thank you,
Andy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Pummelo seeds will not come true to seed, you'll always have some unknown hybrid, Andy. Orange seeds for the most part, and polyembryonic, and will sprout a clonal seedling. I use a seed warming mat, peel off the outer covering of the seed and use seed starting soil. Keep the pot moist, but not soggy, and lots of sunlight. You can refrigerate the seeds for a few days if you'd like, but I've also planted straight from the fruit and they germinate just fine.

Patty S.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 3:56PM
eric580

Oh I know! I planted lemon seeds from when I made lemonade and they grew. All I did was put them in a pot and water them as needed. They were by a sunny window. Today they are growing like crazy. It's so fun!

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 5:20PM
andyandy(6bMI)

Guys-
Thank you for the help, I'll give some orange seeds a try. I do have a heat mat that I've used to germinate palm seeds. I have a spot in my kitchen that faces south so it gets direct sun most of the day.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
Help! I think my 2 yr old lemon tree is in shock!
This plant was doing fine until I trimmed off a huge...
olly805
Meyer leaves issue
Hello, My container meyer is having issues. Leaves...
eshieh1
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.
Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones.. I...
meyermike_1micha
Questions about repotting container grown citrus
Hi all, I am a complete newbie but I have taken great...
emilygreenie
Gray veins in grapefruit
I was advised that this was the better forum for airing...
FanOcitrus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™