Duck a l'orange and Seville Oranges

subtropixDecember 26, 2013

Three Christmases ago, My holiday meal was duck a l'orange. I planted the seeds from the Seville Oranges used for the recipe. They have been growing in communal pots and have postponed separating them until today. Now, I have about 30 of them--may be my New Year's Gifts for my friends. So, this Christmas more duck and another batch of seeds to plant. They grow fairly fast and seem more vigorous than Sweet Orange in my opinion. Also more cold tolerant. These are going back into a 'cold' greenhouse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seville Orange seedlings

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Very nice! Do you know with Photobucket.com, if you click on the HTML link, it will copy that link to your Windows clipboard, and you can then copy that link into the body of your message, and your photo will appear right in your message :-) Very nice gifts, and lovely seedlings.

Patty S.

Bookmark   December 26, 2013 at 5:08PM
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

I like the tree to, as I am bias towards seed grown citrus . If you use Google plus you can display larger pictures with the that kind of link you used.

My 4 Sweetlee tangerine trees are seed grown. Click link below to see the difference in Google. Click any pic to enlarge and then use the thumb weal to go up to 8 megapixals

Here is a link that might be useful: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/111099372377958308731/albums/5961857381151877457

Bookmark   December 26, 2013 at 11:07PM

caus I like pics

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 9:13AM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Those look nice but I always thought that trees planted from Citrus seeds might not end up like their parent plant? Or is that only with particular varieties?

Looks good so I hope they are winners!

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 9:51PM
tantanman(z9Tx)

Seville sour orange has a very high tendency to come true from seed. That is one reason why they are a favorite variety to use for rootstock where that can be done. You should use an old citrus rootstock culling technique to help additionally. Take out the largest ones and the smallest ones and keep the mid-sized. This was first described by Swingle many years ago.

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 12:04AM
More Discussions
Meyer Lemon Plant
I bought a Meyer Lemon plant from Lowes. It was green...
scarlett2
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
Sap on citrus leaves, but no insects
I have been studying the many comments regarding sap...
diekle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™