Winter finally arrived

aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. CanadaFebruary 3, 2014

Looks like we're going to get a touch of winter after all, this is what we woke up to this morning. Up until now we've had it pretty mild for this time of year.
I guess the garden cleanup I was planning will be put on hold for at least a few days. I took this picture from the kitchen window while I was waiting for the toast to pop.
Annette

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schoolhouse_gw

Beautiful photo.

Actually had some sun this morning, no snow; but another round is coming our way this week. It will be interesting to see what has survived this winter.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 11:53AM
thinman(Z5 MI)

Very pretty, Annette. That would fit right in here in northern Michigan.

TM

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 9:33AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Yep. Here in Michigan we feel like we've been transported to Narnia and the White Witch still has her wintery grip on the land. Always winter but never spring. Heavy snows and frigid temps every day, and no end in site. The piles of snow at the end of every driveway make it truly dangerous to leave home every day, since you can't see whether any traffic is coming.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 6:27PM
luckygal(3b)

That's very pretty but a lot of snow for your usually temperate zone. However does occasionally occur which I know well since we spent late fall/early winter in your area in 2008 when there was record snow.

Remaining cold for a few days there I hear. We're in a real freeze with temps down to -26C (which is -15F for those in the US). I don't mind, I just tell myself it's eradicating any bad bugs that thought they'd winter over.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 6:52PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Our temps have been dipping to -8 C some nights, we still have a skimming of snow on the ground due to low temperatures but they say it's going to warm up a bit on the weekend. That could mean we'll get some more snow :(. This is the first year snowdrops have suffered, some of them have keeled over, they look pitiful.

Annette

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 7:30PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

The snow has gone, the sun is out and it's quite mild now. My snowdrops have recovered along with the Hellebores which I thought were toast for sure. I've grown Hellebores for years and have never seen them keeled over before. I think it happened because we had it so mild the first part of winter, everything had started to grow and then Wam!!! the deep freeze hit. I actually got a bit of weeding done today. I've got an invasion of Herb Robert and Buttercup, I don't think I'll ever get rid of :(.

Annette

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 4:15PM
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)

Gorgeous pic, Annette!! I don't come over here nearly enough these days.
You're out weeding - oh my - I'd have to move a considerable amount of snow to even see the ground. I think I'll look at my seed catalogs and dream instead!!

Nancy.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning all. It is warmer here today, but seems...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Anuual Hollyhock seed
I don't remember if I plant annual HH seed this Spring...
schoolhouse_gw
Wanting to sow my wild flower seeds, have questions
Recently a gas line was installed in front of our house...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Blackberry lily (Belamcanda chinensis)
This is my attempt to post. This is a plant I haven't...
frogview00
reminder of spring
post your spring pics from last year This post was...
davids10 z7a nv.
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™