Mammillaria Plumosa~ A few Pink Dainty Blooms

jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)December 14, 2012

This is one of my favorites. She's so soft and cushy! lol.. Just a few blooms this season, but sweet none the less. It's about to bust out of it's pot too. I guess a new one next year. :-) Right now it's in a 4" tall pot. Would it be OK to go more shallow?

JoJo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

Here's a shot of the pot.

JoJo

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 4:19PM
ltran54(9)

Jojo, she is cute....
Marie

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 5:12PM
GeeS 9b

Very nice! I have mine in the ground out in full sun. Like yours, it started flowering recently. Unfortunately, the flowers were all it took to attract the attention of Harris ground squirrels, which attacked the poor little thing savagely, eating all flowers and buds, then biting deep gashes into the heads themselves. Nice. :-( I've never had issues with Harris ground squirrels before and they don't bother any of my other 15 Mamm species, also in the ground. Oh well, live and learn...

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 5:12PM
plantomaniac08(8)

JoJo,
I looooove your Plumosa! I don't think the pink flowers are common, I think they produce yellow flowers more often than not.

Planto

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 5:53PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

Hello,
Thank you all for your kind words :-) Looking in a book last night , it seems her common name is 'Feather Cactus' and I can see why. To touch this one, it's soft and like I said 'cushy'. I've had her 3 yrs now.

Germanstar~ I'm so sorry to hear yours was eaten. :-( critters sure can be frustrating! I don't have very many plants in the ground. Not enough room here. It's a small property. We do have Javelina that visit from time to time. They were here a few weeks ago on the patio and I had to run out in the night and move my collection of Hybrid Aloes up to higher grounds!

Planto~ Now you have me curious and wanting one that will bloom yellow! lol.. I don't think I've seen a yellow bloom. Hmmm.... come spring just may have to go get a few more of these. ;-)
I think I have a few seeds from this ! I have odds and ends I'm tempted to start! I get stir crazy with winter. lol.

Marie, You need you one of these. ;-)

JoJo

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 11:16AM
plantomaniac08(8)

Jojo,
I was looking to see if I had a photo somewhere of when mine bloomed, but I can't seem to find one. It had yellow blooms. If only I could find a pink one!

I also lost mine when our apt people hired someone to pressure wash our patio and failed to notify us (long story). I'm still looking for a replacement. I found one in town earlier this year but I could see something wrong with it.

I just love seeing your cacti. Is your son still gardening with you?

Planto

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 11:55AM
GeeS 9b

Thanks for the critter empathy JoJo, I do believe my M. plumnosa will survive if the ground squirrels will turn their attention elsewhere, which could happen now that winter is here in earnest. It has about twenty some heads, so it's been around for a while.

Sorry to hear about your Javelina, my property is central to a large extended family, and we can really only plant what they'll allow in our front yard. I'm sure you'll agree, the damage they can inflict is breathtaking. All our Mamms are in a fenced backyard, out of harm's way, or so I thought. Javelina eat Mamms like kids eat M&Ms.

BTW, my M. plumosa blooms were cream-colored (or pale yellow) -- your pink blooms are really much prettier and more unusual, AFAIK!

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 12:33PM
More Discussions
Prevent mix from falling out drain hole - what do you use?
I have a few particles falling out the bottom of my...
Bama_Joe
Kalanchoes outdoors in southern California
the following are some photos of some of the less common...
palmbob
ID this succulent now that it's beginning to flower?
no one was able to ID this guy before, but now that...
kwie2011
At a crossroads - potting - plastic or clay for indoor area?
I'm using gritty mix 1-1-1, mostly 4" clay pots...
Bama_Joe
Can you please name this succulent (Qatar)
This succulent was growing along with cactus, it looks...
maufie123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™