Potted Valencia orange tree dropping leaves

mzkristaDecember 31, 2010

I have a beautiful potted Valencia orange tree that has recently been dropping healthy green leaves at a alarming rate. It has one orange the size of a softball on it. It does have a mealy bug problem. It is not over watered. Could it be the mealys? I have it in full sun in my green house at the temp of 71 degrees. All the leaves are shiney and bright green. I pulled it up from the pot and the roots are healthy. This is my 1st orange tree and have a Meyers lemon so worried in case the lemon starts to do the same. Also any advice how to get rid of mealy bugs?Thank you for your advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

We need to know more about this tree. How long have you had it? How long has it been in the same container? What kind of potting medium do you have? Does your greenhouse remain steadily at 71 or is that a day OR night temperature? Is your plant watered adequately/properly?

Insect infestations can cause stress for a plant. They have to use considerable energy resources to withstand and recover such attacks. My favorite method of mealybug control on citrus (and most other plants) is to keep a misting bottle filled with a solution of one part isopropyl alcohol to three parts water so that you can attack the critters on a regular basis. You can also go after them with a cotton swab dipped in the alcohol out of the bottle PLUS mist them.

Don't use the alcohol on bright, sunny days...or anything else, for that matter.

Bookmark   January 1, 2011 at 4:21AM
More Discussions
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
Advice on pruning lemon
Hello all. I have a lemon tree (pictured) that was,...
mattlody
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
citrus tree gratfting 101
I would like to start grafting my own citrus trees....
rj campbell inc
Unsure about the health of my Meyer Lemon..
Hello all! I have dwarf Meyer Lemon plant that I bought...
barbl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™