short narrow evergreen tree?

lpinkmountain(5b/6a border PA)June 17, 2003

Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist, but I need a compact evergreen TREE that doesn't get too tall (15 feet MAXIMUM) or else is very slow growing, but that doesn't get too wide (6 feet). I am looking for something to plant under the power line to my house to add some privacy. I would prefer no arborvitae or juniper. I've heard of dwarf red pine but am not familiar with it. I've also seen this Vander-something Limber or maybe it's Swiss pine that the tag says is "slow growing" but again, I'm not familiar with it. I am familiar with mugo pine, but think of them as being wide, but perhaps they can be pruned or have a columnar cultivar. Am totally unfamiliar with cypress trees since I am new to this zone, (border of zone 6). Please advise. Am also posting on "Conifers" board.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

If you want something under 15 feet, you should be looking for shrubs, not trees.

Too bad you don't want juniper, as they form the bulk of th short evergreens. How about Holly, Yew, boxwood?

Bookmark   June 19, 2003 at 1:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lpinkmountain(5b/6a border PA)

Yes everyone around my urban neighborhood utilizes the hollies, yews and boxwoods for all their wonderful compact evergreen qualities. I just am not a fan of these plants, can't seem to develop a relationship with them. I may well plant a juniper for some height next to a dwarf pine or spruce for the needles I so love.

Bookmark   June 19, 2003 at 2:04PM
More Discussions
Shrubs Under Black Walnut Trees
Can I plant Serviceberry, Winterberry, and Bayberry...
tomp123
Standing Ovation Serviceberry
I am considering planting a Standing Ovation Serviveberry...
DanZone4
Foundation planting help
I posted a whole long message but I think it was lost....
lmich9
dogs!
What is a plant that can tolerate LOTS of dog urine?...
c1nicolei
black walnut support group
I am so jazzed. Many of the perenials I transplanted...
tootswisc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™