Most reliable spring bedding plants?

lavender_lass(4b)February 8, 2011

What are your most reliable spring bedding plants? Are there a few that you buy every year, because they brighten up your garden? What are your favorites?

Mine are stock and alyssum. Every spring, I put them out in the garden and they are wonderful! They don't mind the late freezes...and the purples, lavenders and whites are so cheerful with the bulbs.

What about you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schoolhouse_gw

Annual blue salvia, alyssum, snap dragons and pansies are the most reliable for planting in my garden. This year I plan on putting some Dusty Miller around the base of the birdhouse pole, then surround it with white alyssum.

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 2:25PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

I guess our fall plantings down here would be the same as your spring. Pansies, violas, snapdragons, and dianthus all bloom fall through late spring. I planted a couple larkspur in the fall and sowed a bunch of seed from last year's flowers. The transplants are putting out flower stalks, but the seedlings are still pretty small. We've had so much cold weather this winter I'm guessing it stunted their growth. Hoping they put on a flush of growth when the weather finally warms.

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 9:28PM
ianna(Z5b)

I'm not used to buying bedding plants but I do vote for pansies. In anycase, I have a very tight garden bed and once the perennials are up, there's no room for the bedding plants. instead I sprinkle wildflower seeds and let them find room in the garden.

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 10:10AM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Our spring season is so short and sometimes too warm for many bedding plants. I plant some of the same things she does and intermix them with wonderful, bright and interestingly leafed veggies. It's such a pretty mix. I have more luck with spring flowers from seed, and then I feel like it's more economical too. They sell more spring flowers for containers here, but not so much at the big box stores anymore, I need to go to specialty nurseries to get what I need, even then, I've noticed a great change in the breadth of variety. Slim pickins! I can't wait to get a green house!!

Bookmark   February 9, 2011 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
My first real gardening venture this year
The sun is out, it's 80 degrees in my unheated greenhouse...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning cottagers! Do you remember how I was bemoaning...
cyn427
Hillside cottage garden
Hello! I am going to make my first ever attempt at...
rickcrum
Blackberry lily (Belamcanda chinensis)
This is my attempt to post. This is a plant I haven't...
frogview00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™