Need landscaping help (photo)

annak_01June 1, 2010

I need some help with landscaping the front of our house in MA. There is a yew (9 ft tall) next to one side of the stairs which I'm not too crazy about. I'd rather have some flowering bush or something that looks good in all seasons. I'm thinking I need to find some 9ft narrow shrub or tree to put on both sides of the stairs? I basically would like to create a focal point that hides the fact that the stairs are so tall. I do like to have flowers in the two front yards but I'm just not sure how to balance all this out. The tree is too tall and the flowers are too short.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katsrevenge42(7)

Your picture is broken.

I've seen rose bushes trained to grow thin and tall. Would that be an option?

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 10:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathyannd(Zone 9b)

For something pretty and with a punch of color, I'd consider a Rose of Sharon for each side. You'll get the height and color later in the year, There are plenty of mid size plants you can intersperse for color along with your low growing plants.

It would be easier to make suggestions if I could see a picture or get a better sense of the size, but Montauk daisies, reblooming iris, cone flowers, balloon flowers, peonies (for spring color) and day lilies are some suggestions. I also love sage and astilbe. (Yes, I know it's supposed to be a shade plant, but mine are in full sun and doing splendidly -- go figure).

And I love roses. Not to beat a dead horse, as I've mentioned this on a few other threads, but a couple of Knock Out roses next to the Roses of Sharon would give you the variety in height you seek and provide low maintenance color from May through November. We have a white with burgundy Rose of Sharon near a white pillar next to our front door and it's striking.

I'll try to post a picture tomorrow in my Snapfish album. It might be just the effect you're looking for.

You can see the album here: http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=5347523013/a=84589877_84589877/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Cathy (MA)

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Plant in tissue??
I'm new in plantings.. I just receive a plant from...
Dia_louy101
Boxwoods
I have a north facing bed that gets full bldg shade....
sampson2001
Planting among dense roots
The fruitless mulberry, privets, and Japanese maple...
dlees
Report: Black Walnut Rose Plantings
Some months ago there was interest in what roses might...
Hawkeye_Belle
Shady spot in front of house - what plants will work?
I have a large mulched area in front of my home that...
laumaclandscape
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™