my seedlings finally bloom

rtrsageDecember 2, 2012

My seedlings I hand pollinated 3 years ago from a pink to a red zygo cactus have finally bloomed. Seeds are all from the same seed pod born on the red plant. I am totally surpised to see a coral flower here. Anyone know why this could happen? Also it appears I will have two differnt color blooms on the same leaf set. I am stunned.

rtrsage

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hanzrobo(11)

Congrats on growing a beautiful plant from your own seed and getting blooms in only 3 years! Well done!

There was a thread just a few weeks ago where someone else had the same experience, different colored blooms on a Schlumbergera. I'm sure someone here can recall the exact thread.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 5:45PM
Ron001

This can happen on any plant in the plant world. Usually called a sport and often leads to a new variety.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 6:47PM
rtrsage

Thanks Hanzrobo and Ron for feedback, It was well worth the time and energy to get to this point and see a real difference in plants. I remember reading that the offspring may have very subtle to no change from the parent plants so this is a real treat. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the red cactus or mom is a very old plant. I will have to look up info on "sports" now. Thanks again, it is hard to find info on this stage of bringing up the babies.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
Snow Day Succulents
I hope everyone in the NE is enjoying their snow day!...
ehuns27 7a PA
Lithops Seedlings!
I know it's better to start in the Spring but I just...
Tavar
Gasteria question
Hi all, Does anyone have experience with restarting...
hablu
Cactus ID?
Purchased this one without a tag. It's about 14"...
fireweed22
Aloe ID
Anyone here know the ID of this aloe? This is over...
russ_fla
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™