Elephant Bush Care

Adam_SanDecember 30, 2012

Can anyone give me some specifics for caring for an elephant bush? Light, Soil, Watering, Feeding? What about pinching out and pruning? I accidentally broke the top half of one of them (about five inches tall), and so I replanted it in a moist mix of fir wood chips and commercial compost. Think it should grow back?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

I grow mine in full sun to part shade in a very fast draining mix. The mix you mentioned sounds much too moisture retentive. I have some that are doing well in pea gravel and calcined clay. I have some in the ground that only get natural rainfall which amounts to about 15 inches a year with 100F+ summer temps and they handle it like champs. You can prune them into a formal hedge if you want. So yeah they respond to pinching/pruning. The broken piece should root easily. I let my cuttings callus over before planting them to prevent rot.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 11:49AM
lzrddr(91360)

mine grow in the ground in just about any soil I have , from nearly pure clay, to sand. They all seem to do pretty well... very adaptable plant. I have some in full sun, and some in nearly complete shade... doesn't seem to make much difference.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 12:07PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

During the Winter, give them as much light as possible.

I grow mine in fast-draining mixes and I make sure that the mix doesn't get too dry....
or else the leaves start dropping. If, on the other hand, the leaves turn yellow...too much water.

During the Summer, outdoors in full sun, watered and fertilized regularly.
I've also rooted cuttings directly in my garden soil, then dug them up in the Fall
and potted them for friends.

Josh

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
Dirty Cactus
Help! The new growth on my cactus is nice but the...
trini1trini
Echeveria leaves falling off and stem turning dark?
Hello, I'm new on this website and could use some help...
adelalis
Do you have crazy sedums
So do you i have some sedums in a pot golden sedum...
spikef35
Help with jade plant growth
I have had my jade plant for over 10 years and it has...
jpkaylor
Roots growing out of echeveria stem
I have a bunch of struggling succulents... In a move,...
fergline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™