Peppermint oil to repel deer?

chateauclubcrestJune 29, 2005

I read somewhere that peppermint oil sprayed on plants will also help repel deer. Has anyone tried this? Where does one buy peppermint oil? Surely there is an alternative to the ultra pricey essential oils in the health food store.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Have not heard of peppermint oil as a deer repellant,but there sure are a bundle of other products out there. Is there any reason you want to use peppermint oil?

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 11:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
babzclare

Well that would certainly give the deer minty fresh breath...: ) sorry-I don't know about the peppermint oil-that sounds like it would be very expensive if you have alot of plants. If you would consider other repellant ideas, I make a simple one from water and eggs. I can make several gallons from just one egg. I mix it in a 2 gallon jug and let it sit just a couple days-the longer it sits the more concentrated it is. The mixture smells....well.. rotten, until it dries then I just reapply after each rainfall...we're having a drought so I haven't done that in weeks but just to make sure I still apply it. I have intact hostas and hydrangeas,two of the most sought after salad greens for deer and I live on the border of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park if that tells you anything.We get deer.
My neighbor has daylilies that are chomped to the stem but mine just 20 feet away are intact. Need I say more? It's cheap;it works.

~Babs

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
Identify plant
What is the name of this plant?
aloelover1115
Deer/ Honeysuckle and Trumpet Vine
I have a deer problem. They just consumed all of my...
robinva
Boxwoods
I have a north facing bed that gets full bldg shade....
sampson2001
Planting among dense roots
The fruitless mulberry, privets, and Japanese maple...
dlees
Wintering garden Oleanders
Due to the unbelievable mild winter last year my Oleander...
redlilly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™