Just a dream ! darn !

bgnewbieJune 19, 2009

All

i am a plant and tree grower neophyte and i have been day dreaming about this tree for the last two years.

It is a plum colored Japanese maple tree, i think it is called a blood good . it will have a single trunk and no limbs for the first six feet. it will then blossom out to around 15 foot wide and at least 15 foot tall in a dome shape.

The environment consists of a 4 foot wide plant container set in the middle of a fairly large 11' square concrete patio.

The tree will only be guaranteed about 4 hours of direct sunlight as after that the bigger trees will envelope it.

my question is: is it possible to buy / grow such a tree.

if so where could you buy it? i live in Northern Virginia. Do you see any problems in growing such a dream?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Japanese maples are generally slow growing. You might have to wait up to 20 years for your picture to become reality. Often such varieties as Bloodgood are grafted and the stock may not be capable of reaching so high.

A four foot planter...That would be annual topdressing and frequent feeding/watering.

Fallen leaves on the patio=work. Stains. Slimy leaves. Hazard. Sweeping. Possible blockages in the roof gutters.

A possible alternative could be Cercis Forest Pansy but if you have your teeth set for maple then you might get direction to a provider over on the Maple forum.

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 4:20AM
philipw2(7 MD/DC)

I wouldn't worry about the leaves in a patio. Japanese maples leaves are smallish.

I have 10-12 Japanese maples of various heights and ages and colors around my yard. None is trouble, including those in containers.

Fireglow is a smaller version of the Bloodgood. May make more sense in a container.

Bloodgood is very common in the trade. A big nursery like Merrifield in N. VA would have many specimens in every size and price range (warning $$$). Go visit them and see if reality matches your dream.

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 4:41PM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

We have such a tree in an almost identical location. I love it but it isn't a happy camper this year with all of our heat. The leaves are all crispy around the edges. I think the roots have become a dense mass in the pot and it is really hard to get it watered properly. It's been growing in a pot for the last 20 years. In wintertime, we hang suet bird feeders from it and watch the myriad of little birds close to our kitchen windows. btw, it hasn't achieved a dense canopy of leaves either but it is a pretty shape and gives shade to the patio.

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 4:22PM
More Discussions
Hanging plants in wind and shade
Hello! Any suggestions of a suitable plant for this...
melange
Identify plant
What is the name of this plant?
aloelover1115
What to grow under a Maple Tree?
I have a Maple tree in my front yard and I can't seem...
NutCracker20
Shrubs Under Black Walnut Trees
Can I plant Serviceberry, Winterberry, and Bayberry...
tomp123
Deer/ Honeysuckle and Trumpet Vine
I have a deer problem. They just consumed all of my...
robinva
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Chunky Linen Window Panel
Serena & Lily
Twin Palmer Duvet Cover 66" x 86" - TUXEDO WHITE
$199.90 | Horchow
Safavieh Handmade Heritage Kashan Burgundy/ Black Wool Rug (10' Square)
Overstock.com
Harbour Outdoor | Balmoral Armchair
YLiving.com
Chintaly Tami 5 Piece Extendable Dining Table Set - CTY1291
Hayneedle
PH Snowball Pendant by Louis Poulsen
$2,674.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™