opuntia strobiliformis not looking great

robinpla(10b)December 7, 2012

I have had this opuntia strobiliformis for a few years. It's been growing great, but never really looks great. The new segments are green and nice but then over time it starts getting dark and flaky and unsightly. It has been growing in full Southern California sun. According to some websites it requires full sun. But could it be too much? Or what's the secret to a good looking opuntia strobiliformis?

Your helps appreciated!
Robin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Robin,

They're getting cooked (it may be the result of underpotting) - repot it into fresh soil, kind of deepish, or put it in the ground. It's a fine plant for sure, and often classified as a Tephrocactus.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 5:33PM
robinpla(10b)

Thanks. It might be slightly underpotted. It's on my list to be repotted so, I know what I will do tomorrow :) I will reduce the sun exposure too to see if I can get this to look beautiful. Thanks again.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 1:05AM
cactusmcharris

Robin,

It's a full-sun plant, even in AZ. It just needs sufficient resources to combat the day. Anything I can do to promote Tephrocactus (pronounced 'Jethrocactus', oddly enough) you can count me in for.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 11:35AM
robinpla(10b)

I broke off all the segments and planted the un-scorched ones in a bigger and deeper pot. And of course I planted the ugly ones in a new pot for baby making :) They are back in full sun, but I might give them some shade in the middle of summer.

Thank for your help,
Robin

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
Jade fused trunk
Hi all, been reading for a while, first time poster. My...
andymac85
Succulent Growing Roots From Stem
Not sure what I should do with my plant! It has been...
chelseaw
At a crossroads - potting - plastic or clay for indoor area?
I'm using gritty mix 1-1-1, mostly 4" clay pots...
Bama_Joe
New Additions from the Philadelphia Flower Show
This is what I acquired on Saturday at the Flower Show....
ehuns27 7a PA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™