Daylilies and Deer

etxtomato(8)July 10, 2006

I cannot find any information to tell me if deer eat daylillies or not.....need to plant something that will take full sun and not be on the buck buffet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Yes, daylilies are in the top of deer preferences (others include tulips, yews, hostas). Perennials for hot sunny areas that deer will shun include Nepetas (catmints--NOT catnip), Agastaches, Irises of all types, Gaillardias, Coreopsis of all types, Pardancandas, Peonies, Euphorbias, Perovskia, Achilleas, ornamental grasses. This is not an exclusive list. I am in zone 5/6, so I'm sure there are others in your zone.

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 12:14PM
susie_too

The deer come through and chomp off the flowers right before they are going to bloom. Save yourself a lot of anger at never getting to see your beautiful flowers - try the above. I know for sure deer leave Peonies, ornamental grasses, Coreopsis, and Iris alone.

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 5:52PM
dadgardens

Daylilies are deer candy! (as are the Aurelian and Asiatic hybrid lilies).
You can also try hellebores, prairie sage, poppy, lamb's ear (basically fuzzy or fragrant plants(the leaves are fragrant)) work well.

Sadly, the deer here in NY will peonies and siberian iris if the season is very dry.

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 10:53PM
karen_b(6a s.c. PA)

The herbs I've had luck with are anise hyssop (reseeds very readily), pennyroyal, lavender, yarrow, lemon balm and oregano (both can get invasive) to name a few.

Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
Difficult spot and soil for lawn
We've lived her since fall of 2012. For two years we...
Tinbucket
Shady spot in front of house - what plants will work?
I have a large mulched area in front of my home that...
laumaclandscape
Hanging plants in wind and shade
Hello! Any suggestions of a suitable plant for this...
melange
Standing Ovation Serviceberry
I am considering planting a Standing Ovation Serviveberry...
DanZone4
Help Needed
I'm new to the forum and to coastal NC. We live on...
mynxr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™