shrub under ancient maple?

dressage(z6 NC)July 17, 2003

Hi--in order to screen view of neighbor's house I need something tall and wide that will survive under an old maple with large roots. I have a shrub screen down the property line up to the dripline of the maple. Is a shrub even possible, or should I try trellised vines, which will look odd under a tree. Ideas welcome!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cady(6b/Sunset34 MA)

An unusual solution would be to try bamboo. Believe it or not, there are species that are not aggressive, but that will grow in dry shade and around tree roots.

I have a species called Sasa senanensis. It gets about 11' tall, has palm like leaves, and is evergreen in zone 6. It is thriving underneath a large Norway maple that hogs light, rain and nutrients.

There are other species that will do well too - Sasa palmata, Pseudosasa japonica. They are not invasive and require little care. Just snip unwanted sprouts once a year to keep them contained.

The link is for a bamboo nursery that has a good catalog with photos and descriptions. You can look up the species I mentioned above if you're interested in finding out more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo source

Bookmark   July 24, 2003 at 1:37PM
More Discussions
finding the right privacy fence plant
I would like to build a privacy fence, but have a slightly...
dtrachtman
Shrubs under black walnut
I have 3 canadian hemlocks which were planted in a...
shadey
Shady spot in front of house - what plants will work?
I have a large mulched area in front of my home that...
laumaclandscape
Cheap homemade deer repellent..actually works!
I did an experiment with my new plants this year. The...
mersiepoo
plants that can survive 5' piled snow
Reclaiming 100 sf of parking space, but the snow still...
bobdove
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™