Need downpour resistant plants

hoa_rd(5 Chicago)August 10, 2006

I need to plant an 18" wide strip along the garage-- no gutters.

Need tough plants that can handle a bit of a beating in a downpour.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-h

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karen_b(6a s.c. PA)

hens & chicks come to mind, what about sturdy sedums. In my experience I've made a row of stones where the water hits the soil and plant in front of the stones most anything.

Bookmark   August 10, 2006 at 9:58AM
lapageria(Chicago)

I have strawberries in the same situation, and they love the extra water. They are interplanted with chives to deter pests.

Bookmark   August 12, 2006 at 1:02AM
hoa_rd(5 Chicago)

Thanks for the responses!
I need something a little bushier and with a little more height than sedum or "groundcover" to break up the line between the lawn and the tall, blank garage wall. Plus a quantity of Sedum or hens/chicks adequate to fill an 18"x 30' space would go into the hundred$.
I can't get Strawberries to thrive for some reason . . . I can definitely get chives to thrive, but . . . it wouldn't look s great before a downpour, and would look horrible (all layed down etc.) after getting battered.
The things I have on hand in quantity are Hosta,Painter's pallet, Kerria Japonica, gooseberries . . .any thoughts as to which of these could best handle a battering?

Bookmark   August 12, 2006 at 12:26PM
maw57(6 - Cincinnati Ohio)

What about something with a more woody support structure? Epimedium comes to mind - nice spring flowers. They are pretty indestructable. Some nice leaf detail too.

Astilbe love wet feet, but they get a bit tired looking in Ohio heat - they might work better in Chicago. The bigger old fashioned kind might work best.

Depending on your foot path, you might try a small shrub/bush. I personally hate boxwoods, but nothing kills them. You might even get away with one of the hydrangeas that grow from the ground each year, but it would be a pain to keep it within your boundaries.

Good luck!

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
black walnut support group
I am so jazzed. Many of the perenials I transplanted...
tootswisc
Help Needed
I'm new to the forum and to coastal NC. We live on...
mynxr
Boxwoods
I have a north facing bed that gets full bldg shade....
sampson2001
plants that can survive 5' piled snow
Reclaiming 100 sf of parking space, but the snow still...
bobdove
low plants that like sun, damp feet- that deer do not like
Hi folks, I am gardening near Chapel Hill, NC and have...
lauriec
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™