swimming pool

mollyjanea(z5 RI)August 4, 2003

Hi folks, Have just had UFO land in my backyard, and boy, is it UGLY! Actually it's a new bright blue and white swimming pool, plopped right behind my cottage-y gardens with meadow behind it. Love the pool, hate the look. Working on garden all around it for some screening, as well as beauty. Have lots of ideas but looking for more! It's 48" tall, 24 ' across, and will be used by young adults/adults and guests with kids. Fun, fun, fun but ugly,ugly, ugly! Thanks! Happy summer! Molly in RI

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
valeriepa(z5-6 NEPA)

I have a few small evergrren shrubs around my pool. I plant taller growing annuals in a 3ft bed surroundind the pool to help disguise it, but they are not cottage garden flowers. I have different varieties of daturas, gladioli, and dahlias. It looks tropical and hides the ugly white metal pool sides quite well.

Bookmark   August 6, 2003 at 8:15AM
mtngirl(z6VA)

the main thing to avoid is plants that will shed leaves, seeds, spent blossoms, etsc. into your pool and plants that will attract bees and wasps to its area.

Bookmark   August 15, 2003 at 4:39PM
Elmore(z7 N.AL)

I have read that Firmiana simplex- Chinese Parasol Tree will give a pool area a tropical look. If a tropical look is desired I would plant a half dozen Magnolia macrophylla-Bigleaf Magnolia. The leaves are almost 3' long and 1' across. Also has large, fragrant,white flowers in time. Lends a large banana plantation look to an area. Cover the pool when abscission occurs.

Bookmark   August 28, 2003 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
Help Needed
I'm new to the forum and to coastal NC. We live on...
mynxr
dogs!
What is a plant that can tolerate LOTS of dog urine?...
c1nicolei
finding the right privacy fence plant
I would like to build a privacy fence, but have a slightly...
dtrachtman
Large leaves.
This NOID doesn't have any flowers, but sure has some...
newgen
low plants that like sun, damp feet- that deer do not like
Hi folks, I am gardening near Chapel Hill, NC and have...
lauriec
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™