Windy seaside garden

MauraO(SE Alaska)August 7, 2005

My husband and I are building a new house, and starting from scratch with building soil where salmonberries used to cover a bank down to the water. I put a red laceleaf Japanese maple at the top of the bank, and planted astilbe and hosta below it, but the hostas look like they're drying out from too much wind.

Any suggestions on what would stay fairly low growing (under 2 ft.) tolerate wind, water, winter temps fluctuating from mid teens to mid forties, lots of rain?

Thanks for your input.

Maura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You not only have a wind issue, but a SALT issue. There are few more hostile environments for plants than an ocean front site. You are really looking for a ground cover at that size. There are many low growing junipers that would do very well for you in this location.

Bookmark   August 20, 2005 at 3:27PM
sage_lover(z6 OH)

ALASKA only has low temps in the teens??? What zone are you in? How much sunlight? I agree with lol that salt may be your major issue, and one that makes your choices much narrower. Salt kills a lot of plants, so start your search from there.

In general, plants with smaller leaves are more drought tolerant as they lose less moisture from wind etc. Same goes for "gray" colored plants such as Lavender & Russian Sage. Good luck & best wishes, more info may help get you better answers. Doupt many of us garden in Alaska!

Bookmark   September 8, 2005 at 8:12PM
MauraO(SE Alaska)

Here's a website that covers our maritime climate.
http://www.uas.alaska.edu/future_students/southeast_alaska/climate.html

We're similar to the Seattle area, but we get much more rain and slightly cooler temperatures year round.

I figure a plant for zone 6 will survive here if it can tolerate repeat freeze/thaw cycles and wet roots.

Because of the heavy rainfall, I don't think salt build-up is an issue here. At the end of our season we routinely pile 6" of seaweed on the gardens without rinsing it, and it gets well flushed by fall rains. That's my plan for soil building this fall.

I have SW exposure on this bank, but rhododendrons do well here in full sun because we don't get enough heat to damage them.

So, I'm thinking about some of the smaller leaved rhodies for the upper section of the bank, and prostrate cotoneaster where it's steep to help hold the soil. I's also like to use some non-invasive grasses, and I love the idea of using herbs!

Thanks for the suggestions, and I'm open to more.

Bookmark   September 11, 2005 at 3:01PM
MauraO(SE Alaska)

Wow! Did I say 6 feet of seaweed? I meant 6 inches.

Bookmark   September 12, 2005 at 1:11AM
PPennypacker(z6b)

MauraO -
Hello, I live about 100 steps from the Atlantic ocean, south of Boston, MA in Zone 6a.
Here's a list of plants that I would consider hardy for you. Also you might want to think of most glaucous plants being adaptable to a cold, seaside environment.
They are:
Potentilla sp.
Ceratostigma plumbagnoides
Dwarf Sorbus
Spiraea jap. 'Gold Mound'
French Tarragon - does very well for us, and stands of it look very "grassy" when kept divided.
Best,
PP

Bookmark   October 14, 2005 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
Foundation planting help
I posted a whole long message but I think it was lost....
lmich9
Plant in tissue??
I'm new in plantings.. I just receive a plant from...
Dia_louy101
What to grow under a Maple Tree?
I have a Maple tree in my front yard and I can't seem...
NutCracker20
low plants that like sun, damp feet- that deer do not like
Hi folks, I am gardening near Chapel Hill, NC and have...
lauriec
Boxwoods
I have a north facing bed that gets full bldg shade....
sampson2001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™