What is eating my plants and how do i stop it?

terriebariAugust 26, 2007

Hi all

Not sure if anyone can determine this for me,but I am having an issue with SOMe plants being eaten. We do have deer, but i am not convinced it is them. i ahve seen no deer droppings near the plants, and many plants are NOT being eaten that I think deer would like (my cone flowers look GREAT, for example, and my day lillies and hosta are all fine).

i've lost 4 tall flox, including two that are in an exposed area- no place to hide!3 hollyhocks, yet two others are untouched. One of the hollyhock was in full bloom, and they ate it flowers and all.

any suggestions on what I might try, to deter whatever it is. I do NOT want to hurt any animals, if I can help it, and we have pets that hang out in our garden, too (they dont' eat plants, though)

thanks!

terrie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Even though the attack is spotty, it's probably deer. Nothing else would eat a whole perennial like that (rabbits are too short). BTW, cuts from rabbit teeth are sharp and clean as if they were made with pruners. Deer cuts tend to be ragged since they pull and don't cut clean.

I suggest spraying with a good repellent--Deer Off, Liquid Fence, Plantskydd, and try to concentrate on plants deer don't like. Strongly aromatic plants are not only unappealing, but also have some repellent value as the scent jams deer's predator defensese, their sense of smell. Such plants include Agastaches, Perovskia, Nepetas, Calaminthas, Geranium maccrorhizum as well as 'Bikovo', 'Karmina' et. al (but not other Geraniums).

Growing plants that they really like, like Phlox, is asking for trouble. Now that they're in the restaurant, it's only a matter of time before someone tries the other items on the buffet.

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 5:56AM
More Discussions
Bed of Nails
I have just received a plant labeled "Bed of Nails"...
carmellia
Identify plant
What is the name of this plant?
aloelover1115
black walnut support group
I am so jazzed. Many of the perenials I transplanted...
tootswisc
Shrubs under black walnut
I have 3 canadian hemlocks which were planted in a...
shadey
Plant wilting
I bought this potted plant a couple of weeks ago and...
hilste
Sponsored Products
Campania International Mayfair Urn Planter - GRCP-010-AL
Hayneedle
Tulip Bundle & Bucket
$9.99 | zulily
Jaipur Metro Maryse Area Rug - RUG110501
$62.00 | Hayneedle
Peace Trees Rug
$11.99 | zulily
Iannone Design | Trees Graphic Dresser - Long
YLiving.com