Guestion for citrus gurus

foolishpleasureDecember 8, 2012

Do citrus trees require chill hours? I know most of the stone fruits require chill hours even Grapes does. Figs were debated since Figs prosper in mediterranean weather climate like Turky and Egypt even some people still think Figs needs chill hours. I am newbie when it comes to citrus.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

No. No chill hours needed. Think of citrus in the same category as avocados, mangos, papayas, guavas, bananas. However, in order for citrus to color up, they do require cooler nights to warmer days. Citrus growing in very tropical conditions, where there is little variance between day and night temps will stay green or mostly green, even when fully ripe. And figs do not need chill hours either. I grow many varieties of figs (although not quite the number of citrus varieties I grow). No chill hours needed for my figs (although I do get some chill hours here where I live). Figs will tolerate colder temps, and drop leaves and go dormant as a protective mechanism against colder temps, but it is not necessary for figs to receive chill hours in order to do well and fruit. Most grape cultivars do not need more than 150 chill hours. Some cultivars need essentially no chill hours. Other cultivars do better with some chill hours to sweeten up and develop a high enough sugar content for winemaking/eating.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8261.pdf

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 10:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foolishpleasure

Thanks Patty
It is nice to know that Citrus do not need chill hours. You are right Figs do not need chill hours because it is a warm climate fruit. If the weather is right the tree does not need to go in dormancy. I kept 2 little fig trees from air-layering inside the house they stayed green all year long.
Abe

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
what kind of lemon orange mix is this?
the inside is not like a lemon. it can be peeled easily...
preppystud
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™