DL "on the rocks" - When do I plant them?

DragonflyRhinoFebruary 9, 2014

I have been doing allot of experimenting with starting DL's from seed using lots of different methods. Some have been good some not so much but this new method "On the Rocks" is blowing me away! Its so simple and I had roots showing their pretty selves within 48 hours on some of them. One thing I can't determine based on the readings I have done is WHEN I need to plant them in dirt - The one article I read and used showed waiting til green started showing but he had a very low success rate once they were planted so I wonder if anyone has any experience using this method and when the best time to plant them is? Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylilies on the rocks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeanne

I always wait until there's a good amount of green showing, the poor success rate after sowing may have more to do with the growing medium itself. Use a quality sowing medium, I also topdress with sand to prevent fungus gnat infestation.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 12:00PM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

I was going to try this method too when I ran across the website a couple of months ago. I even ordered the little 2oz cups and everything. I didn't end up doing it because I had the same question as you....when to transplant them! Keep us updated, I may want to try it still.

I did find that those 2oz cups with lids are excellent for germinating seeds in! I just fill them all the way to the top with a few drops of peroxide and then the lid keeps them underwater. It works so much better than germinating them in the little baggies they arrive in from sellers which tend to leak. I also re-use the cups and just cross out the old cross and write the new one on it.

Tammy

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 5:09PM
DragonflyRhino

Tammy I found this that answered my question:) He grows them in the rocks til they are 3-4 inches tall! See the link below:) I had my first moldy seed today - NASTY smell!!! Mine are growing pretty well!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Day Lily On The Rocks

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 12:34AM
Blomma2

I start seeds with the Deno method. After the seed sprouted, I plant in a seedling mix until it develops 3 leaves. Then I repot to a 3" pot. Currently I have over 56 seedlings growing under lights. They will be planted out end of May.

Last year I had 124 daylily seedling bloom at 14 months to my surprise.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 2:23AM
Blomma2

I start seeds with the Deno method. After the seed sprouted, I plant in a seedling mix until it develops 3 leaves. Then I repot to a 3" pot. Currently I have over 56 seedlings growing under lights. They will be planted out end of May.

Last year I had 124 daylily seedling bloom at 14 months to my surprise.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 2:25AM
More Discussions
Seedlings that you can't wait to see how they do this year
We all have some seedlings that we can't wait to see...
dragonflypond
Pauline Henry daylilies
I was brousing a couple of daylily sites the other...
Maryl zone 7a
Rain, Rain Go Away...
We have had an abundance of rain...I am glad, but am...
organic_kitten
Davisson Daylilies
I'll start by saying I've had no issues with growing...
Julia NY
Hooray! The Bradford Pear Tree is Down!
We had been intending to take it down for a year, and...
organic_kitten
Sponsored Products
BL1 Table Lamp
Design Within Reach
Cambridge Black and Ivory Runner: 2 Ft. 6 In. x 14 Ft. Rug
$183.95 | Bellacor
Calming Waters Mirrored Silver Metallic Wall Fountain
Lamps Plus
Armen Living Wall Street Fabric Side Chairs - Charcoal - Set of 2 - LC3107SIASH
$338.40 | Hayneedle
Bolla Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture with Amber Cloud Glass
$432.00 | Bellacor