White Seedling

mike5210February 12, 2013

Two weeks ago, I planted a flat of seeds I purchased on the lily auction. I'm very glad, to say that of the 65 seeds that I planted all but 6 have sprouted so far. The question I have is I seem to have a pure white seedling starting to sprout. It is now 1-1/2" tall and still white, no green at all. I have started 1,000's of seeds of different varieties including daylilies and have never seen this. Anyone have any ideas as to what is happening? I will try to get a picture of it posted for all to see.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Julia NY(6)

From my understanding it lacks the ability to produce chlorophyll. Once the seedcase no longer provides nutrients, it will die off at some point. You can just pull it now if you wish or let it go and see how it progress.I've not heard of any white seedlings surviving unless it actually started to produce chlorophyll by some odd chance. It is what some call an albino seedling. If you do a google search on "albino seedling", you'll find information on it.

I've had this happen in the past. No way of knowing which ones it will happen to. It just happens.

Julia

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 9:13PM
darobi2459(5)

I have had 2 in about 80. I have read that it is more likely to occur when interbreeding with same parentage, grandparents, etc..not sure how true that is though.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 12:00AM
mike5210

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
Clean up and beautify Garden Web!
You can add an extension to your browser for Firefox...
Brad KY
Buying daylilies from the south
I placed an order for daylilies from a Florida seller....
KarenPA_6b
24/7 daylilies in year 2
I tried the following varieties. Key Largo Moon Kokomo...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
NOIDS
Like Indian cast system the NOIDs appear to be low...
brigarif Khan
Looking better...Knee and Spring's Arrival
January 10th, while walking across a level floor, carrying...
organic_kitten
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™