recommendations? wet, clay, full sun

dri_beeSeptember 4, 2007

Zone 5 - Western PA

We are trying to plant at our new house - we have an area which has clay, very wet (often 1" puddles for a few days after a rain), and gets full sun. We are hoping to find some good shrubs to line by the road and driveway, evergreen preferably so that in the winter there is still something nice to look at. We are also looking for a focal point, something not too large(perhaps 8-10 feet) but very interesting to look at (ie weeping).

Ideally the shrubs would flower, or have something interesting about them as well. We live out in the woods, so we are not looking for something too manicured, wild is better.

Please - any recommendations are appreciated! Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Evergreen might be difficult, but Cephalanthus occidentalis is a great native. A new cultivar is 'Sputnik'. Other natives that like wet include Clethra alnifolia and certain Cornus species. I think Viburnum acerifolium tolerates considerable wet also.

Bookmark   September 5, 2007 at 6:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
artdeco

I've had alot of luck with Itea "Henrys Garnet" in a similar spot. Not evergreen, but the leaves cling to the branches for half the winter.
Also thriving in poorly draining wet clay is Vernal Witch Hazel, Pumilla Dogwood, common Viburnum Trilobum & "Red Wing", and Aronia Melanocarpa "Autumn Magic".
Cornus alba / dogwood gets severe leaf spot if too wet so had to move it.
My clay gets hard as concrete during dry periods so Clethra doesn't do well, and the Pumilla needs extra waterings.
Good Luck!

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
Standing Ovation Serviceberry
I am considering planting a Standing Ovation Serviveberry...
DanZone4
Identify plant
What is the name of this plant?
aloelover1115
black walnut support group
I am so jazzed. Many of the perenials I transplanted...
tootswisc
Large leaves.
This NOID doesn't have any flowers, but sure has some...
newgen
What to grow under a Maple Tree?
I have a Maple tree in my front yard and I can't seem...
NutCracker20
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™