ID this tree?

SavannahIndigoDecember 6, 2012

Hi all,
I bought a home this summer with a citrus tree in the front yard. Yesterday I noticed some fruit so I'm hoping to find out what this is now. It's a tall and up right tree, narrow with spikes on trunk and new growth dark green shiny leaves. It's about 20 feet tall I would guesstimate, but does not spread out much. The fruit is small, golf ball size or a tad bigger, orange and round, like and orange shape. The only fruit is at the very top of the tree so I'll need to get a latter to get a better look at it.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Okay, completely impossible to ID a tree without a series of good photos, savannah. You'll need to post up a photo of the tree, close up of the leaves and fruit, and of the trunk to see if you can see or identify the graft line (so we can tell you if what you've got is actually a grafted citrus tree, or just rootstock that has taken over, which is my suspicion based on your description.) You can load up your photos to www.photobucket.com, then copy and paste each of the photo's HTML codes into the body of your message. You'll know you've done this correctly as the photos will show up when you click on "Preview Message". If not, be sure you're copying and pasting in the HTML code, and not one of the other code strings.

Patty S.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 10:01PM
johnmerr(11)

Photos, photos, photos.... we can't see what you see. Photos of the tree, close-ups of fruit and leaves and inside of fruit; with those pictures someone here can give you a pretty good guess.

Likely this time of year, small orange fruits, it is some sort of mandarin. Taste it and add your impressions to your thread.

Without further info, you get no more than a SWAG (Scientific Wild Assed Guess).

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 10:05PM
SavannahIndigo

Thanks I tried to take some pics today but the fruit is too high to get a good look at. I may be able to go on the roof, it's very close to the house.
What am I looking for as far as graft line? Is grafted more desirable than a seedling?

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 10:09PM
johnmerr(11)

Don't fight the problem... post the photos, THEN ask the questions. We do this for free; we don't charge nothing.
Sometimes, we learn something new... that is why I am here; others may have different reasons.

John

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 11:04PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Well, most often the answer would be "yes", a grafted tree is more desirable, as you've got the best of both: a rootstock that should be designed to do well in your area, and impart particular qualities to your tree that will make it less susceptible to diseases, more tolerant to a variety of soil conditions, and possibly regulate the height and size of your tree. But, some citrus do just fine on their own roots (the Meyer lemon would be one of those). The reason I ask, is to see if perhaps the scion (the grafted variety) has died, and now all you're looking at is the rootstock, which for the most part produce inedible fruit. As John has said, we're just taking wild guesses right now, until we can see the tree. But, based on what you've described, it does sound like either you've got a seedling tree, or more likely, just the rootstock growing.

Patty S.

Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 11:49PM
More Discussions
Why is my orange growing so wrinkly
The new growth on my orange tree is all light green...
csanadkocsis
Sunniland Citrus, Avocado and Mango Fertilizer 6-4-6
I buy this Sunniland Citrus, Avocado and Mango Fertilizer...
Randy31513
New Oro Blanco
We hit 99 degrees today and my newly planted Oro blanco...
evdesert 9B Indio, CA
Sour orange cutting
The second of four cuttings I tried is showing new...
tim45z10
Ants on blossoms?
Is it okay for the Blossom/plant?
coconutman
Sponsored Products
Hammock with Stand: Algoma Hammock Post
$76.99 | Hayneedle
Jane Seymour White Tulips Silk Flower Arrangement - JB331-WHLG
$325.00 | Hayneedle
Small Palm Tree Trinket Box
Classic Hostess
Ginkgo Tree Standard Outdoor Wall Sculpture