Deer 'reistant' plants for large pots?

gardenspuds(CA- SF Bay area)September 19, 2010

I have 4 large pots on my deck that I've had semi success with growing roses despite the deer in my area. The problem is after the first flush of flowers in the spring, I get lazy and don't spray Deer Fence frequently enough, so the roses get eaten.

Can anyone think of any deer "resistant" plants that might do well in large pots? I don't exactly know the size, but they hold approx. 2 cu. feet of potting soil.

The pots get full sun in the summer, only a couple of hours of sun in the winter.

I know recommended plants may or may not be appealing to the local deer, some plants on lists have worked in my yard (such as iris and lavender), some plants have been surprises by trial, like white heliotrope, and others that are supposed to be deer resistant have not been.

Thanks.

Barbara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

The only thing the local deer won't eat is iris. However, the local bunnies will eat iris.

Hardy hibiscus is supposed to be deer resistant. I wouldn't know. The ones I planted got eaten by the bunnies.

There's some stuff with very tall purple spikes growing outside of fences, locally, which means the deer aren't eating it but I don't know what it is.

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 4:29PM
More Discussions
Cheap homemade deer repellent..actually works!
I did an experiment with my new plants this year. The...
mersiepoo
finding the right privacy fence plant
I would like to build a privacy fence, but have a slightly...
dtrachtman
Plant in tissue??
I'm new in plantings.. I just receive a plant from...
Dia_louy101
Difficult spot and soil for lawn
We've lived her since fall of 2012. For two years we...
Tinbucket
Identify plant
What is the name of this plant?
aloelover1115
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™