Deer/ Honeysuckle and Trumpet Vine

robinva(6)October 21, 2007

I have a deer problem. They just consumed all of my clematis plants. I want to attract humming birds but don't care to make the same mistake twice. Has anyone had experience with honeysuckle or trumpet vines and deer? Please give me your feedback.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweetkountry

I don't have a problem with deer, but there are quite a few articles on the web about it. Google deer resistant plants.
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/treeshru/resistan.htm

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publications/deer.html

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 10:29PM
robinva(6)

Thank you sweetkountry. I went to both web sites. Neither of these two plants are deer resistant yet they did not make the worst list either. I used to live in the Texas Hill Country. Lots of deer but it is in a much warmer zone than here in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Will Google and see what I can come up with. Thanks again.

Bookmark   October 22, 2007 at 9:44PM
rumbum(9)

Deer have eaten my honeysuckle vines.
They won't touch the trumpet vine but it is so aggressive that I wish they would eat it all up. I would never purposefully plant the regular trumpet vine. I have heard others say that some varieties are less aggressive but I have no experience with that myself.
Good luck!

Bookmark   November 16, 2007 at 12:38PM
sundrops(Z6 SW Indiana)

Sorry to hear about your clematis. If you are truly wanting to attract hummingbirds there should be plenty of plants you could try. Weigela would be one perrenial bush. Salvias are good for hummingbirds. Try the bird forum for other suggestions. I know the deer are so destructive, I am looking for ways to deter them also.

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 5:03PM
florrie2

Here in Maryland, the deer don't eat honeysuckle, but they DO eat Weigelia. I spray them with repellant and that helps somewhat, but it's still a problem. Salvia is listed as deer resistant, so is the annual, Cleome. Hummingbirds like my Trumpet Vine, which is a huge climber with impressive yellow or orange/red flowers. The biggest problem I have with it is re-seeding. I have to be sure to snap off ALL the seed pods. Until I learned that, I had baby plants everywhere - and they're hard to dig out.

Here is a link that might be useful: You can cross check the deer resistant plants on this list for hummingbirds

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 10:00AM
mersiepoo(6)

Deer don't eat our trumpet vines, but do eat my clematis, roses, and just about everything else. I've been using a mixture of water, garlic, milk and add an egg, then I take a jug of the stuff and go out every few days and pour it over my plants. Hopefully that will keep them from eating everything. Sure smells bad enough! The only thing that is keeping them from my clematis is that I let the weeds grow up and they keep the plants sort of safe. I hope, anyway!

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 10:58PM
Mom4Furries

Been trying to find something for an 8ft trellis in full sun. Deer ate the roses. Ate the trumpet vine - yes - they did! Ate the clematis. I've been thinking about wisteria, but may just hang pots from the trellis, with deer resistant flowers.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
VERY Wet Yard - Wanted, Water-Loving Plant Ideas
We purchased our 6 acre home in January of this year...
Zephyrhills
Large leaves.
This NOID doesn't have any flowers, but sure has some...
newgen
Difficult spot and soil for lawn
We've lived her since fall of 2012. For two years we...
Tinbucket
Wintering garden Oleanders
Due to the unbelievable mild winter last year my Oleander...
redlilly
Standing Ovation Serviceberry
I am considering planting a Standing Ovation Serviveberry...
DanZone4
Sponsored Products
Set of Five Garden Vine Candle Rings
Grandin Road
Stylized Iron Shelf Bracket
Signature Hardware
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Lyndhurst Assorted/Ivory 2 ft. 3 in. x 12
Home Depot
Hinaki LED Pendant by David Trubridge Design
$2,790.00 | Lumens
Navy Home & Porch Rug
$24.99 | zulily