Why won't my Meyer bloom???

amyta(z8 mid GA)December 4, 2012

I have a Meyer in a pot that's about 8 yr. old. It bloomed a couple of times but for the last few years it's had blooms but few lemons. It looks really healthy but hasn't bloomed this year. It's inside now near a window. I fertilized with Peter's all summer when it was outside and twice since it's been inside. Frankly, it's not worth the trouble if it's not going to produce. Please give me suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

So it has bloomed just not this year. Meyers are pretty good at blooming a few times per year but the amount of blooms isnt always a lot. Any chance it did bloom and you missed it?

If you could post a few photos that would help assess the overall health of the tree.

also
which Peters, how much and how often.

John is the meyer expert, he might have some better advice.

Mike

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 9:30AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Hello MIke:-)

Amy, what are the numbers on your fertilizer and how much do you use, how often?

Sometimes too much Nitrogen can cause a plant to focus its leaves instead of flowers.

Yes, John might be by since he grows thousands of Meyer trees and has no problem with fruit crop.

Mike

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 9:37AM
johnmerr(11)

I find it hard or nearly impossible to over-fertilize a Meyer; but of course that doesn't apply to container plants. You should be fertilizing your Meyer with a fertilizer in the 3-1-2 ratio for best results; and the mix should include Magnesium, Calcium, Iron, Zinc, and maybe Copper. I use a fertilizer specially blended for me at 18-6-12 and the above minerals; each mature producing tree gets 3 pounds of that mix per year... trees producing 400 lemons per year. I also give them a shot of chelated mineral mix once per year, sort of an insurance policy as I don't know for sure they need it. One thing I do know is if you give a Meyer an overdose of Nitrogen, it will dump the flowers in favor of growing pretty green leaves.

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Wish me luck - transplanted a 6-7 year old Golden Nugget
Planted too close to a bearss, the lime was towering...
serge94501
Omari satsuma in the desert
I'm debating on getting an Owari Satsuma (OS) but live...
zwoydziak9bsunset13
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™