Any of these plants Allopathic?

scarletdaisies(6)October 8, 2009

I've had two bad years of gardening, slow fruit producers, sometimes tomatoes would rot green on the vine, this year with 12 plants, 11 lived and I got about 25 tomatoes from them all, great compared to last year. I'm thinking it's the Walnut tree, even though the walnut tree is downhill from the garden area, things started doing better for this garden this year when the walnut trees up and died at the beginning of spring without producing any walnuts.

I've just read sycamore trees are also inhibitors of some type, grasses, etc. I think I have about 5 small sycamore trees if I have the right tree. I posted most of what's growing in my yard around my garden area, and if anyone can point out if any of them are allelopathic, I would appreciate it.

I don't know the names of any of these bushes or trees, but if you could tell if you recognize any that are allelopathic, it might save me lots of terrible work. Even composting on the same property might absorb the same poisons, so my work will all be wasted if any of these do kill their surrounding plants.

Thanks!! I hope you can help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

The small one in the top picture looks like Lugustrum vulgare/common privet. The middle one is sassafras tree I believe.

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 12:32AM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Tomato plants (especially) do NOT like to grow under or near walnut trees. They are very sensitive to the toxins produced by the leaves and roots of walnuts. Do not even use the leaves for composting.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 12:42PM
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

Your sassafras tree is harmless, and what a great tree to have. My woods have just a couple of small ones. Crush a leaf and smell!
That one with the green "berries"? That is Japanese or Chinese privet (also called ligustrum). Highly invasive to our parks and forests, as the birds eat and spread the seeds. The plants choke out natives here in tragic frequency. Do the world a favor and chop it down to make room for more tomatoes.
Walnut is likely your problem, but there are NOT lots of other common plants that are allopathic. Even Hickory, which is the same genus (Carya) is not a problem. All tree roots will suck nutrients and moisture away form whatever else you plant though.

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 7:02AM
More Discussions
Bed of Nails
I have just received a plant labeled "Bed of Nails"...
carmellia
Boxwoods
I have a north facing bed that gets full bldg shade....
sampson2001
Plant wilting
I bought this potted plant a couple of weeks ago and...
hilste
Shrubs Under Black Walnut Trees
Can I plant Serviceberry, Winterberry, and Bayberry...
tomp123
Report: Black Walnut Rose Plantings
Some months ago there was interest in what roses might...
Hawkeye_Belle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™