liatris deer resistant?

brekers(z7northernCA)October 15, 2004

can't find info if liatris will hold up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cantstopgardening(Zone 4/5 WI)

I haven't had any deer or other animal damage to the three types of liatris I grow. I do have a good bit of other things for the animals though. If there is nothing else to eat, deer will eat anything.

Bookmark   October 17, 2004 at 11:14PM
dadgardens

Brekers,

Woodchucks(groundhogs) love liatris around me here in NY, but I can't say for certain about deer ( I think they munched my exposed liatris two years ago but it could've been groundhogs). G'hogs can get into my (fenced against deer) perennial/rose garden) and they stripped the liatris and the echinacea of all their leaves.

Dad

Bookmark   October 18, 2004 at 11:11PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

i agree with canstopgardening - deer will eat anything depending upon how hungry they are and what is available.

i have a problem with liatris and rabbits more than deer - of course it could be groundhogs but i have assumed its rabbits. sprinking cayenne pepper helps but i dont always get on it after each rainfall and those darn rabbits always beat me to it -

Bookmark   October 19, 2004 at 6:05PM
Nemesia

I'm surrounded by woodlands and have deer and rabbits both. I've never had them even so much as touch or nibble my Liatris.

Per Heritage Prennial Profiles Liatris spicata 'Floristan Violett' is Deer Resistant. Here's their URL:

http://www.perennials.com/seeplant.html?item=1.317.100

That should take you right to it.

There's another good site too -

My Deer Garden

http://www.mydeergarden.com/Plant_DB/browse_all.htm

Bookmark   January 9, 2005 at 5:34PM
muggsey(z4/5 MI)

Try Blood meal.it works on about everything!

Bookmark   January 9, 2005 at 8:23PM
cassiope(03/WI)

I have a heck of a time getting my Liastris to survive - because it's either the deer or the rabbits' favorite food. And bloodmeal doesn't work for me! The only way I've been able to protect my plants is either with chicken wire or with hinder (but that always washes off in the rain). I've even been told my garden isn't much to look at because of all the wire!

It seems animal problems are highly local. (we have a very high population of both deer and rabbits).

Bookmark   January 13, 2005 at 8:23PM
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

They ate my liatris. There's a thread on the Wildlife forum about deer eating baby birds - with photos.

Bookmark   January 15, 2005 at 6:09AM
ego45(6bCT)

Grow liatris for 5 years. No damage from the deers, but rabbits and g'hogs definitely like them. Sprinkling blood meal seems to help, but till the first rain.

Bookmark   January 15, 2005 at 11:07PM
Deer180

Nothing is DEER resistant if they are hungry enough!

Bookmark   January 18, 2005 at 2:48PM
newbie_in_nj(6b E/Central NJ)

Don't know if this will "bump up" after over 3 years but something ate most of the flower buds off both of my Liatris Spicata. Only the flower buds...not much foliage nibbled so I assume it was rabbits that got over/under new fencing I'd just installed around butterfly garden the day before.

Does anyone know if there will be any new growth on the plants between now and fall to provide any flowering or are they a bloom loss for this year?

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 8:21AM
noinwi

This is the second year the deer topped my white Liatris just as it was getting ready to bloom. It just chaps my hide!! I've been using the egg/garlic/milk mixture(fencing is not an option here), but we have sporadic thunder storms roll through during the night and washes the plants clean. Last night I mixed up some Safer fungicide(sulfur based)as I was out of ripe EGM, sprayed everything and nothing was touched(no rain last night). But I don't want to use it every time...maybe I'll alternate. It's so frustrating...I'll be lucky to get any tomatoes as they topped those and my peppers a few weeks ago.AAGGHH!!

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 12:04PM
randytootall

so far my liatris has been untouched for about 10 years,with a heavy deer pop.

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 7:00AM
More Discussions
Shrubs Under Black Walnut Trees
Can I plant Serviceberry, Winterberry, and Bayberry...
tomp123
Cheap homemade deer repellent..actually works!
I did an experiment with my new plants this year. The...
mersiepoo
Foundation planting help
I posted a whole long message but I think it was lost....
lmich9
Bed of Nails
I have just received a plant labeled "Bed of Nails"...
carmellia
Deer/ Honeysuckle and Trumpet Vine
I have a deer problem. They just consumed all of my...
robinva
Sponsored Products
Liatris Rustic 7-piece Counter-height Dining Set
Overstock.com
Summer Cutting Garden Bulb - Set of 25
$12.99 | zulily
16" Liatris Double-Wall Copper Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Liatris Rustic Cocoa Brown and Microfiber Counter Height Dining Stools (Set of 2
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™