Milkweeds Near Black Walnut?

jibd(6)October 16, 2010

Hi all,

I was disheartened to find only one of the four milkweeds I want for next spring on the lists I have of what can grow near the black walnut. So, as of now, I only know for sure the Common Milkweed seeds I have will grow in my garden. So, my question is: has anybody successfully grown the following milkweeds near a black walnut tree?

Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa)

Swamp Milkweed (Asclepias incarnata)

Tropical Milkweed (Asclepias curassavica)

All answers are appreciated and helpful!

P.S. YES, these are all on the list for the up-and-coming butterfly/hummingbird garden to help out the monarchs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
artdeco

My neighbor gave me some Milkweed seeds, I assume just the common variety, which I sowed at the dripline of a BW, but nothing sprouted.
I haven't tried again, so I don't know if coincidence or juglone.
And this neighbor doesn't have any BW trees near her lot.

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 10:52AM
jibd(6)

Hello,

It could be that the seeds weren't cold stratified. Most milkweed seeds (except for Tropical Milkweed)require a period from 4-8 weeks of cold temperatures in order to germinate. Right now I have my Common Milkweed seeds in my refrigerator in some moist paper towels.

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 6:47PM
carmen_grower_2007(4/5)

Our acreage is full of Black Walnuts and I disagree with most of the 'list' of things that won't grow around them. Orange Butterfly Weed definitely will. My advice is to try anything and see if it survives. The only thing I had problems with was Lamium. I have since planted it in a large garden where there are no Black Walnuts, but recently mulched with wood chips.

Since the mulch comes from our area, I'm sure it is mostly BW mulch. I will wait until the spring to see if there is a die-back. Hope not -- I love all the Lamiums!

Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 3:28PM
jibd(6)

Update: swamp milkweed and butterfly weed are growing gangbusters, but the tropical milkweed seedlings don't seem to be doing anything; not wilting, but not growing either. Too bad. Maybe I'll put all six of them in a big pot for the summer.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
Shrubs under black walnut
I have 3 canadian hemlocks which were planted in a...
shadey
Plant in tissue??
I'm new in plantings.. I just receive a plant from...
Dia_louy101
What to grow under a Maple Tree?
I have a Maple tree in my front yard and I can't seem...
NutCracker20
Plant wilting
I bought this potted plant a couple of weeks ago and...
hilste
Difficult spot and soil for lawn
We've lived her since fall of 2012. For two years we...
Tinbucket
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™