sealing cattail stems

AnnieandSuzetteJanuary 10, 2011

Hello! My friend Suzette & I are using cattails in a shadowbox art project and would like to know what we should use to seal them. Is there a special sealant or shellac out there? Also, I'm wondering if they're dry enough. I kept the stalks in my garage, and have now cut them on both ends to fit into the shadowbox. Some seemed damp inside at first, but appear dry now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fisannie

Annie and Suzette. I just saw your post. Hope I'm not too late. Cattails, pussy willows and other woody plants must be dried using liquid glyceren and water. Mix the liquids half and half. Put enough of mixed liquid in tall container filling it half full. P.ulverize the stems(I use the smooth side of a wooden meat mallet)about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom. Leave in mixture for at least 2 weeks replacing it as needed. Dry stems and trim bottom to make arrangement. I don't know of any other method but I do know if you don't do this the tails will explode. I speak from experience when I tell you this. If you want to spray a sealer on them after just get one that is used for dried flowers from a craft store. Let me know how things turn out.
Phyllie

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
pink or blue antifreeze as glycerine alternative?
I read about this and wonder if anyone can compare...
erasmus_gw
Preserving Fluorescent Glowing flowers (pics!)
Hello all, I am new to the forum and excited to join...
Tennysos
Lee Valley Flower Press
Has anyone tried the Lee Valley Microwave Press Kit?...
cookie8
Dried Lavender - Premium Grade vs French
I am looking for the most long lasting and fragrant...
Living2
Using flowers to die your hair?
Has anyone ever tried dyeing their hair with henna?...
RochelleLY
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™