Deer Out

LovinRoses(7GrtsPassOR)November 1, 2005

Just purchased Deer Out, anyone have experience. Has a strong mint fragrance. Has anyone just planted mint around in pots or in the ground to do the same thing. This product was pricey, as they all are. Any comments are appreciated. Suzy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bbpick

I just saw your posting and I know it's late to respond... however I thought I would let you know my experience. I also have a huge deer problem> I have found two things that work. One is Coast of Main deer repelent. The second is home made. I bought a small vial of oil of peppermint from a health food store. I mix about five drops to a quart of water (you can tell by the smell if you have enough peppermint) and spray it on the plant. I found by alternating between the two that it worked. If I only used Coast of Main after a few days they were used to the smell and chomped away. You must reapply on new growth or after watering or a rain. No matter what you use you cannot use it repeatedly as they get used to it. Good luck and I hope that this is some help for you.

Bonnie

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 7:39PM
becky_jean(z8 GA)

this is really late posting, but got gal. of Hinder from local garden supplier. It's concentrated capsaicin (sp?); dilute & spray on plants 3 days consecutively w/out water or rain on plants. They stay away through learned experience. However, you have to remember to "teach" them again every 2 months or so.

I have learned that they will not "trespass" through a border of certain aromatic herb plants (basil, thyme, rosemary, chives, mint,sage). At least, the deer in my yard haven't so far.

Bookmark   February 5, 2006 at 10:21AM
kitova(z6 NJ)

i've heard that the top ingredients to deter deer are capsaicin, eggs, and mint. i usually check out the bottles i buy to make sure they have 2 of the 3 listed as ingredients.

Bookmark   April 2, 2006 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
finding the right privacy fence plant
I would like to build a privacy fence, but have a slightly...
dtrachtman
Hanging plants in wind and shade
Hello! Any suggestions of a suitable plant for this...
melange
Planting among dense roots
The fruitless mulberry, privets, and Japanese maple...
dlees
dogs!
What is a plant that can tolerate LOTS of dog urine?...
c1nicolei
Boxwoods
I have a north facing bed that gets full bldg shade....
sampson2001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™