Job's Tears and Pussy willows

cheyjohn_z5(6)March 28, 2005

Can anyone suggest a place where I can get Job's Tear seeds to plant? I saw this last season online and thought they were so neat, and would like to grow some myself, but I am having trouble locating them.

I am also looking for a place to purchase pussy willow branches to root myself. I think it would be cheaper than buying the different trees, right? Thanks!

Chey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IndianPaintBrush(z5 ID)

Hello Cheysgarden!

I was just reading your Post, & sorry, but I have no suggestions on the "Job's Tear's' seeds for you, but perhaps I can ask around, whenever I go into Town from our Ranch here, OK?

Your interest in the "Pussy-Willow" branches is what caught my eye. For the first time in my Life, I own a really neat "Pussy-Willow" tree, & just now learned about how to dry the "pods" from the branches, from off this Web Site here! I was out looking at my Pussy-Willow Tree just the other day, and the buds are fast going to seed now, & I haven't gotten in my Flower Press yet. (darn!) But... there is a little "story" behind that Pussy Willow tree of mine....

My Mother-in-Law has one in Town, & hers grew like crazy... I was wanting a Pussy-Willow Tree soooo bad, when we put our house in out here on our Land. Well... several years after we put the House in, my husband ask me if I wanted a "start" of his Mom's Pussy-Willow Tree? Of course, I jumped at it, but was also very "skeptical" about attemping to plant it out here, because I never had very good luck with much of anything... especially "transplants" & such--- Well, that was about 5 or 6 years ago, & Cheysgarden... you should see how "huge" my Pussy-Willow tree is now!!!!!! I am so proud of it, & also very, very happy that it thrived & has done so well. I had to clip-it-back even, because it got so big!

I would gladly send you a branch or some "roots" from off of it, if you would like me to?? I see you live in the same Zone as I do there in IN; so this just might work, if I was to send you a "start" of my Pussy-Willow Tree. What do you think??? I'm not sure how well "grounded" that Tree is, but I would have to go out & take a look at it for you, to see if I could get you a good "starter" branch from it... Just let me know on this, alright??

Also.. I wanted to tell you, I went in and looked at your "Cheysgarden" Web Page, and just absolutely "loved" your Flower Garden Photo Albums!! Those were just beautiful, & my favorite was the "Garden 2004" you have Posted, with the "chair" made into a flower pot!! (this is always something I wanted to do, with an old chair & all~) I do have an old "Red-Rider" child's Wagon, ( I purchased at a Yard Sale for $1.00 ) that I have sitting out in the yard, & use as a flowerbed! I wanted to tell you, your flowers, & your flowerbeds were so gorgeous, & I enjoyed looking at your pictures, very much. Thank you for sharing!

Feel free to post to me at any time, & let me know about me sending you a "Pussy-Willow" branch off my Tree out here, alright? I'll gladly do that for you...

Hugs,
~ IndianPaintBrush ~

Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 10:18AM
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

J.L. Hudson has seeds for Job's tears. Look under the Latin name, Coix lachryma-jovi in their online catalog. Stokes does, too -- www.stokeseeds.com -- search on coix or, using the menus, choose "annual flowers," then "ornamental grasses."

Here is a link that might be useful: J.L. Hudson

Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 1:53PM
cheyjohn_z5(6)

Indianpaintbrush, I sent you an email.

Neil, thanks for the link. I am going to check it out now! :)

Chey

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 10:26AM
Ssstark(z5-6 MI)

I got mine from here last year:
http://www.seedman.com/Orngrass.htm
D9528 JOB'S TEARS ( COIX LACHRYMAE )
Each pack contains 15 seeds $2.95

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 4:10AM
Josh(z8a)

Love the Job's Tears! Can't resist suggesting very interesting article from one of my favorite sites...josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Job's Tears

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 10:48AM
cheyjohn_z5(6)

You all have been so helpful. I can see I what I am going to be doing with my computer time the next few days! Those sites are awesome! Thank you so much!

Chey

Bookmark   April 14, 2005 at 8:03PM
jim3

Hello all
Looking for a half dozen fresh pussy willow cuttings for rooting. Will pay. Please email me if you can provide them. My two trees died last year.
Thanks so very much

jim3

Bookmark   March 22, 2009 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
Dried Seed Pod ID
Hello! Does anyone recognize this dried pod? Many thanks!...
elenarain
pink or blue antifreeze as glycerine alternative?
I read about this and wonder if anyone can compare...
erasmus_gw
Preserving Fluorescent Glowing flowers (pics!)
Hello all, I am new to the forum and excited to join...
Tennysos
preserved tulip in a bottle
Hello, I'm new here. I want to preserved my tulip and...
Whizker
dying white flowers to stay white
I'm new to flower pressing, but I'm so enthralled by...
heartsong2
Sponsored Products
Colonial Mills Simply Home Solid Stair Tread - 8 x 28 in. - Set of 13 - H015A008
$265.99 | Hayneedle
Rubbermaid Closet Organization 2-Shelf Closet Helper Hanging Unit White 1806114
$69.99 | Home Depot
KOHLER Utility Sinks River Falls 22 in. x 25 in. Cast Iron Utility Sink in Cane
Home Depot
Transitional Gold Runner: 2 Ft. 5 In x 8 Ft. Rug
$153.95 | Bellacor
Banzai Outdoor Daybed Cover
FRONTGATE
Floating Medallions Runner 2' 6" x 10' - TURQUOISE
$299.00 | Horchow
Moroccan Diamond Rug 9' x 12' - BEIGE/BROWN