Pomegranate espalier for privacy in a narrow strip against fence

Oscarmatic(CA z10/23)November 9, 2013

Hi! I'm rehabilitating a pond and its surrounding plantings. It would be nice to add a planting between the pond and the fence to screen from the neighbor's windows.

We are in inland San Diego, Sunset zone 23 -- so no thirsty plants. I prefer something fruiting or floral, rather than evergreen. It should have a root system that won't be likely to damage or invade the concrete pond. It's too much to expect, but a tidy plant would reduce the amount of skimming to do in the pond. (We can dream!) The picture below shows the available planting area. The existing tree and philodendron will move, as will the low bush and vines. The screening is really only needed on the right side, but I'm inclined to either plant something wide or plant two for balance.

What do the experienced growers here think of trying an espalier pomegranate in this space? (Be honest if I'm just crazy.)

Alternately, would a trellis extension on the fence and a fruiting or flowering vine be a better option?

Suggestions and strong opinions are very much welcome!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregbradley(Upland, CA USDA 9b Sunset 19)

Do you know that Poms loose all their leaves and are just branches for 3 months in SoCal? They are a huge bush and in the fall, all those leaves will go in the pond. They also have big thorns so they are not easy to trim or espalier.

Here is what I'm doing for the too short wall between my house and the neighbor on one side.

Gold Nugget and Bearss Lime on the espalier and a Thornless Mexican Lime in between. Since they are just potted, I put plastic over the pots to cut down on the flooding for this last storm. Now that 4" of rain has stopped, I'm removing it. After I finalize position and soil level, they will go in the ground.

This post was edited by GregBradley on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 20:19

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
plants that can survive 5' piled snow
Reclaiming 100 sf of parking space, but the snow still...
bobdove
Difficult spot and soil for lawn
We've lived her since fall of 2012. For two years we...
Tinbucket
Identify plant
What is the name of this plant?
aloelover1115
Wintering garden Oleanders
Due to the unbelievable mild winter last year my Oleander...
redlilly
Can't grow asparagus at 5000 ft.
Have been trying to grow asparagus for 4 years. As...
beattybug
Sponsored Products
Rockport Mail Post
Grandin Road
Skygarden Suspension by Flos Lighting
$2,495.00 | Lumens
Olde Colony Outdoor Post Mount
Lightology
Simpatico Orange Diffuser
$49.00 | FRONTGATE
Veranda Jumbo Log Tote
Home Decorators Collection