water from softener kills grass/trees

Chris_MI(z5 MI)December 23, 2003

Unlike my neighbors who have their water softener backwash dump into their septic tank, mine goes into the sump pump and dumps on the gass which has made a huge swath of dead grass. We tried using a barrel for the downshout, but with our clay soil, it simply overflows, so diverting the sump/softener water into an underground barrel won't work. It seems the quack grass is starting to grow in that barren area, and I have alot of the quack in my FLOWER BEDS to transplant, LOL. How about trees?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
The_Mohave__Kid(Nevada)

I think you better find a better place to send the water ....

Bookmark   December 27, 2003 at 9:50PM
captstinky(9 WCentral)

Three options I can think of: One run a length of PVC pipe to a location you do not mind discharging the water to. Two, run a length of the 6 or so inch black corrugated pipe used for drainage, bury it about a foot under ground for a good 25ft to disperse the water. I would stay away from tree roots as the salts will accumulate and may cause damage. Three, you could build a Zen rock garden. with a pond?

Good luck

Bookmark   December 27, 2003 at 9:56PM
water_daddy(VA)

Do you really need the softener? Many people have been conned into buying something that didn't really need.

Bookmark   December 31, 2003 at 2:37PM
DianeKaryl(z5ONT)

I think once you have a softener and see its benefits, like the family car...that now has automatic transmission, electric windows and doors and all the other gadgets, its hard to not have them.
Would anybody go back to using a clutch in heavy traffic?

Might you, instead of having grass at the place where the water exits, just replace it with gravel...like a pit filled with rocks and gravel where the water drains into and away.
I know there's a term for this pit....it just escapes me at this moment..but many people have them where runoff is excessive and don't wish to lay tile or piping.

Bookmark   January 3, 2004 at 7:52PM
msu_girl(Z5 ( SW Mi))

Chris,
We also run our water softener "used" water out of the house with a sump pump. We ran a length of pipe outside, buried about 15" deep. It dumps into a buried steel trashcan that's partially filled with pea gravel to help it hold it's shape. When we first installed the sump, we didn't have the extra pipe attached. Wow, that water comes out fast! It dug a huge whole in the lawn even in winter.

To prevent lawn kill, you should use pottassium chloride instead of sodium chloride in your softener. It won't kill any plants, and it will improve the longevity of your sump. (All that salt is hard on the pump.)

Bookmark   January 23, 2004 at 11:59AM
ScottReil_GD(z5 CT)

And the plants can use the potassium (not too many using the sodium, I'd guess)...

Bookmark   January 24, 2004 at 1:58PM
bolecke(5 OH)

DianeKaryl- I think called a french well

Bookmark   February 20, 2004 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Identify plant
What is the name of this plant?
aloelover1115
Hanging plants in wind and shade
Hello! Any suggestions of a suitable plant for this...
melange
What can I plant here?
I live on the Central Coast of California. According...
kristie_007
Shrubs under black walnut
I have 3 canadian hemlocks which were planted in a...
shadey
Bed of Nails
I have just received a plant labeled "Bed of Nails"...
carmellia
Sponsored Products
Hopson L-Sectional (4 piece) - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
Living Sofa System
| Italy Design
Outdoor Lighting. Telfair Collection Hanging Outdoor 2-Light Black Coral Light F
$79.90 | Home Depot
Masiero Lighting | Drylight 18 Light Outdoor Chandelier
YLighting
Zuo Deep Water Loveseat 7-Piece Outdoor Dining Set
Euro Style Lighting
Outdoor Lighting. Providence Collection 1-Light 17.5 in. Outdoor Imperial Bronze
Home Depot
Grape Freeze 18x18-Inch Square Silk Dupioni Luxury Decorative Pillow Cover Only
$99.95 | Bellacor
Thermostatic Shower System with Hand Sprayer Kit and 4 Body Jet Sprays
Hudson Reed
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™