dying white flowers to stay white

HeartSong2April 20, 2011

I'm new to flower pressing, but I'm so enthralled by it that I've been tempted to press everything in sight this spring! I pressed some beautiful, small white flowers from a tree that I think was a Bradford Pear. However, they turned a dingy tan color. Things that I've read state that many white flowers will turn tan or cream when pressed. I'm thinking that if I use a white dye on the white flowers, they will stay white after pressing. Has anyone done this successfully? What kind of dye did you use? Has anyone used another method to keep white flowers white after pressing? Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
artsiecl(8)

Dear HeartSong, I am new at pressing flowers also......I had some of my whites to turn tan......but, I figured out, I can put them in a box on a paper towel and spray Design Master spray on them for pretty colors....... the thing that stays white for me is crepe myrtle....the White "Natchez" kind..... Also, some Queen Anne's Lace stays white also, as well as works for spraying.....
the Design Master comes in different colors. Still trying new things.....

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 5:00AM
drying-flowers

Try using the broad tip white opaque Sharpie markers to color the whites. Works for some flowers if they aren't too brown.

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 1:07PM
kms4me

Try rubbing chalk on paper and then use your finger to pick up the chalk dust and lightly dab it onto your pressed flower.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 2:51AM
More Discussions
Lee Valley Flower Press
Has anyone tried the Lee Valley Microwave Press Kit?...
cookie8
Drying hydrangeas, clueless in pa
I am a total newbie to the garden forum but post quite...
Holly- Kay
Shipping eucalyptus leaves from CA to WA
Hello folks ~ Need some advice about the legality of...
sweetpea_path
preserving large amaryllis flowers
How can I preserve large amaryllis flowers & stalks?...
amaryllisstudygroup
White Spots and Lines on my Catharanthus Roseus Flowers
Hi I have transplanted many catharanthus roseus flowers...
shaiqbashir
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™