making potpourri from sweet betsy bush

granniemable(7 middle tennessee)April 22, 2009

I don't know where to post this question.I would like to make some potpourri form my sweet betsy bush. Can some one please tell a newbie how to do this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

I looked up "Sweet Betsy" and found out that it's also called Carolina allspice (the name I'm most familiar with)and sweet shrub, Latin Calycanthus florida. We've never grown it, so I can't help you mich with first-hand insight, but general references you find on the web to potpourri making should be helpful.

It seems you can dry the fruit, leaves, peeled bark or whole twigs. I'd try drying each element separately and see how each works.

The only other essential thing you'd need, then, is a fixitive. Orris root (it's actually the dried root of a type of iris) is the most common type available -- you'll find many sources for both powdered and chopped root on the web. Your basic procedure would be to mix the dried Sweet Betsy pieces that you like with the fixitive (chopped root, in this case), store them in a closed container for a few weeks, and you're done.

You could add other, non-fragrant stuff if you wished, such as dried strawflowers or non-fragrant dried rosebuds or gomphrena or whatever looked pretty. Then you could use powdered orris root if you wished, since the powder would work itself into the dried flower petals.

You could experiment with mixing scents, if you wished -- for example, adding regular allspice berries, stick cinnamon, whole cloves.

Good luck. you've inspired me to try growing some myself.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 11:09AM
More Discussions
Dried and pressed flowers
I recently bought a kit and started working with pressed...
georgeth
Looking for a home for dried flowers
Hello, My mom's passion for the last 30 years was making...
Matt7
Can I Re-color Pressed Flower?
So I have this school project to make something using...
ElviraS
Drying hydrangeas, clueless in pa
I am a total newbie to the garden forum but post quite...
Holly- Kay
Where to get Sunwave flower press?
I'd like to get my mother a Sunwave flower press, but...
iowariver
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™